Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New cartridge design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2007, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

New cartridge design

http://www.superiorballistics.com/index.html

well now for all the ballistic experts this is an interesting concept of short fat cases and elliptical shoulders for more efficiancy, more velocity and less barrel heat.

BH
Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New cartridge design

Do you acctualy believe the claim of increased velocity without increaseing the powder capacity?....
Old 06-05-2007, 07:27 AM
Platinum Member

BTDT
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

This is actualy an old concept , it was done years ago with the 348 winchester case by shortening it and radiusing the shoulder. The basic idea is like the Weatherby shoulder , kinda saying that the radius can handle more pressure and direct the pressure to the case neck makeing it more effeciently.

I think that this idea is that the primer blast is bounced around inside the case at accurate angles to make the powder burn more effeciently hence making for more velocity with less powder.

My personal oppinion is that sombodys just wanting to stick his name on a case and have a claim to fame. I'm gonna have to be an eye witness to test compairing this case desgine to say an Ackley improved desgine of the same volume and powder charge diameter with the same bullet out of the same barrel before I accept it as being supperior to whats already out their.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

bb, how'd you scrounge that up? I can't find anything more than 2 days old. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

The above referenced link + a thing that Kirby was doing, got me going on the "flash tube" idea. Which by the way is about to start up again. Initial trials show there there are noticeable differences w/the Frontal Ignition but I gotta get a decent method of measuring barrel temp over the length of the barrel.

RE: the above link and elliptical shoulder design

I wonder how much of the primer flash makes it through how much of the powder in the case?

From my experience I think that I can see in that web site a whole bunch of initial excitement (been there and done that) with some possible trials that probably gave results that were no worse than conventional designs and possible some a bit better (but compare against this Link and what do you get?)

It seems like the shooting world just needs more superior craftsmen to bring the current cartidge designs up to their potential in shooting platforms, then someone can do something innovative to take things to the next level.

Or it may all be in the marketing as with the Weatherby shoulder design???
Old 06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

Frontal ignition does appear to have merit in not heating the barrel as fast as rear ignition. Frontal igintion is used in artillary shells.Frontal ignition does not increase velocity with the same amount of powder.As I recal Fiftydriver stated that it acctualy took a little more poweder to get the same velocity as rear ignition, in his experimntation with this system..........
Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Ha, knew this would kick the feather pile.

supposedly the testing was done at Norma's facilities and been actively used and written up in several magazines.

However, there is an interesting phenomena that we have seen with the 300 WSM. In the 1k BR game, a standard 300 Win mag barrel will last 1000-1400 rds max, while we are getting 2-3x that with the WSM barrels.

BH