Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 12:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Caliber

Count me among those blind trend followers. WhileI see your point about being “entirely too overbore” I think there is a place for a non-belted case of this size in a mainstream factory cartridge. The overbore designation, which implies a mismatch between bore size and powder burn rate, is somewhat mitigated with new powders like RL-33 which was designed with overbore cartridges in mind. Of course I’m also thinking about wildcatting and when you neck the 26 Nosler up, at some point the “overbore” designation goes away. There are similar sized non-belted cartridges already on the market but they aren’t from mainstream vendors like Nosler. The stuff from Dakota comes to mind which they offer all the way up to 45 cal. In 6.5 mm this will be the new king of the hill in a factory round. And when you neck it up it just gets better. Case capacity is almost up with the 7mm STW but not quite at 93 grains H2O (my estimate) versus97 grains for the STW (the 7mm Dakota holds 89.0 grains H2O). Guys really like the STW though you could accuse it of being overbore. Necked upto 7mm, the 26 Nosler should provide similar performance to the STW but with a 30-06 length COAL. What is not to likeabout that? So, I have no problem with Noslerd eveloping it on their dime. I can leave it sit on the shelf if I don’t like it – assuming of course that I can ever find any on the shelf which still seems to be a problem.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Just like the rest of you, i think its way too overbore. I highly doubt its going to get popular. Im a HUGE 6.5 caliber fan but not this one. Its totally worthless in my opinion.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Just like the rest of you, i think its way too overbore. I highly doubt its going to get popular. Im a HUGE 6.5 caliber fan but not this one. Its totally worthless in my opinion.
+100 I totally agree