Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


The thread is closed

New bullet maker that looks interesting

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #323  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 253
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Steel tips just to impact the copper jacket/lead core or? Figure the deceleration and differential metal hardness/density would make them pretty hard on tissue
__________________

"Make a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire and you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life."

Howa 1500 30-06
Winchester Model 70 .300WM (post-64)
Savage Axis .270
Mausers, Enfields, and Mosins, oh my!
  #324  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,386
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon061 View Post
Steel tips just to impact the copper jacket/lead core or? Figure the deceleration and differential metal hardness/density would make them pretty hard on tissue
All the steel tips do is initiate expansion and raise b.c. The reason they are now steel is because aluminum is too difficult to keep consistent and is more expensive. The steel tips put approx. 11 grains more weight forward which usually requires more twist to stabilize than the same weight bullet with weight distributed further back. As far as tissue damage goes, the tips will almost always separate right after contact and will most likely be lying in the bottom of the chesk cavity. I have seen many of them do this. Tissue damage from the tip itself is a non issue, but there will be PLENTY of damage resulting from the rapid expansion at high, and mid velocities......rich
  #325  
Old 07-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Central MT
Posts: 731
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon061 View Post
Steel tips just to impact the copper jacket/lead core or? Figure the deceleration and differential metal hardness/density would make them pretty hard on tissue
Just curious if anyone has any experience with pointing a Berger hunting bullet to achieve a higher BC as compared to a steel tip used to increase BC? How would both or one versus the other improve or hinder expansion of the bullet when impacting tissue on a game animal? Would a pointed hunting Berger also expand but perhaps not as rapid as the steel tip falling off as Rich has noted?
__________________
Shoot CONFIDENT, Shoot SMART, Shoot STRAIGHT
  #326  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,386
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Just curious if anyone has any experience with pointing a Berger hunting bullet to achieve a higher BC as compared to a steel tip used to increase BC? How would both or one versus the other improve or hinder expansion of the bullet when impacting tissue on a game animal? Would a pointed hunting Berger also expand but perhaps not as rapid as the steel tip falling off as Rich has noted?
The bullet pointers will RAISE the b.c., but will LOWER the expansion capability......rich
  #327  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Idaho Falls
Posts: 286
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
All the steel tips do is initiate expansion and raise b.c. The reason they are now steel is because aluminum is too difficult to keep consistent and is more expensive. The steel tips put approx. 11 grains more weight forward which usually requires more twist to stabilize than the same weight bullet with weight distributed further back. As far as tissue damage goes, the tips will almost always separate right after contact and will most likely be lying in the bottom of the chesk cavity. I have seen many of them do this. Tissue damage from the tip itself is a non issue, but there will be PLENTY of damage resulting from the rapid expansion at high, and mid velocities......rich
INteresting, Rich do you think a factory Sendero 300 ultra has enough twist to stabilize the 230s.
__________________
Dan

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.




Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
  #328  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,386
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRedneck View Post
INteresting, Rich do you think a factory Sendero 300 ultra has enough twist to stabilize the 230s.
230 Berger otm's, yes. 230 w3p steel tips, we'll see? My guess is maybe at altitude, probably not at sea level?.......Rich
This might be a good question for Bryan Litz.
  #329  
Old 07-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Idaho Falls
Posts: 286
Re: New bullet maker that looks interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
230 Berger otm's, yes. 230 w3p steel tips, we'll see? My guess is maybe at altitude, probably not at sea level?.......Rich

great, thanks, ill be testing these and the 230 berger hybrid targets (not otms) together, so I guess ill find out. Elevations around 6500 ft at the final drop test spot.
__________________
Dan

The 2nd Amendment......America's original Homeland Security.




Ethan Parke........roped the deer in 1953. Put tags in his ears turned him loose then shot him in 1955. Always liked this pic
The story was told to me by his wife who owned the little motel we stayed at on a deer hunt in Malta Idaho about 17 years ago...... Youll never see that again. Just a cool pic of Idaho deer huntin history
The thread is closed

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC