Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Bullet Design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Ther are numerous short to medium range hunting bullets on the market. This is a long range hunting site, hence the use of high BC bullets. Long and Lean is the name of the game

Last edited by jwp475; 04-07-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fariswm View Post
Please tell me who makes these ULD RBBT bullets so I can get some and study them.
I know you're fairly new here, but recently there was a thread that got pretty involved and it concerned what I, and many others, thought to be slightlyimproper ways to treat someone that had developed a cartridge.

I feel the same way about bullets. I know anyone can buy any bullet available and do what they want with them, but my way of dealing with friends that are in the business of making bullets dictates that I'd not supply any bullets to anyone that wants to see, copy, glean ideas for possible manufacturing of competetive bullets. Nothing personal and I know you can get them from other sources but I'll just keep mine and shoot them thank you.;)
Old 04-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
I know you're fairly new here, but recently there was a thread that got pretty involved and it concerned what I, and many others, thought to be slightlyimproper ways to treat someone that had developed a cartridge.

I feel the same way about bullets. I know anyone can buy any bullet available and do what they want with them, but my way of dealing with friends that are in the business of making bullets dictates that I'd not supply any bullets to anyone that wants to see, copy, glean ideas for possible manufacturing of competetive bullets. Nothing personal and I know you can get them from other sources but I'll just keep mine and shoot them thank you.;)
I appreciate your position on the information I requested. The focus of my attention is going to be in the development of new alloys for the core of the bullet, and not the entire bullet. We have experience in the extrusion business and our intent would be to become a supplier of core material to all of the existing bullet manufacturers in the industry. But I certainly respect your loyalty to your friends. Thanks again for your candor.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Bronze Member

Corbin Bullet Swage Technology

The web site above has some of the best information on bullet construction that I have ever run across. Just enough technical, yet easy to understand.

I want to see bullets with rebated boat tails. (look under topics section)

I also want to see a 90 -100 gr .270 caliber bullet with a high BC for use in 6.8 spc. Ideally this would be a nice expanding bullet for hunting, but I would be just as happy with a varmint bullet.

edited to add: 6.8 spc needs light bullets due to magazine restrictions that push 130's deep into the case taking up too much case volume. Most people would crap bricks if you could get into the .400 range. You would sell scads of them.

Min Velocity info is available, and describes the performance floor of the bullet... DON'T allow yourself to reference F.P.E. as an accurate descriptor of killing power.. You are smarter than a copy editor, and you understand that you can determine maximum (reliable) effective range by comparing your drop chart to published bullet data....... And, dog-on-it, people like you!

Last edited by adam; 04-07-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

I think a poly-tip on the 180 grain Berger profile would be nice. Definite expansion and high BC, with lower weight. .7 BC with a 150 grainer would be amazing. 3400 fps+ from STWs and RUMs, and real fast with an Allen Mag.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Bronze Member

New Bullet Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Corbin Bullet Swage Technology

The web site above has some of the best information on bullet construction that I have ever run across. Just enough technical, yet easy to understand.

I want to see bullets with rebated boat tails. (look under topics section)

I also want to see a 90 -100 gr .270 caliber bullet with a high BC for use in 6.8 spc. Ideally this would be a nice expanding bullet for hunting, but I would be just as happy with a varmint bullet.

edited to add: 6.8 spc needs light bullets due to magazine restrictions that push 130's deep into the case taking up too much case volume. Most people would crap bricks if you could get into the .400 range. You would sell scads of them.
Thank you so much for the input. It seems that there is a great deal of interest in bullets with high BC's and less weight. We will be looking at it.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

New Bullet Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Kemp View Post
I think a poly-tip on the 180 grain Berger profile would be nice. Definite expansion and high BC, with lower weight. .7 BC with a 150 grainer would be amazing. 3400 fps+ from STWs and RUMs, and real fast with an Allen Mag.
Poly Tips are probably not in the cards for what we are doing, but the concept of the high BC and lower weight is certainly something we will address.

Thanks for your input.