Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Bullet Design?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Location: I live in the outdoors, but ihave to stay in the Houston area so I can afford to live outdoors!
New Bullet Design?

I have been thinking about this for a looooong time.

I like the Nosler BT, but I've noticed if I recover a bullet all that is ever left is the jacket only. I have not had any issues with the BT stopping power....BUT my little brains gets to working sometimes....

Why not design a petitioned BT and have it a boat tail??????????

In my limited way of thinking wouldn't you increase the BC of the bullet?

*The petition would help lengthen the overall length (copper is lighter than lead in the same area of the bullet)...
*The plastic tip is lighter than the normal lead point on a petitioned bullet...
*The boat tail would also help increase the length...ever little bit helps?!?!?

On closer shot is would help weight retension and the increased BC help for long range shots!

Am I way off base with this or does Nosler (or other brand maker) need to hire me?

Last edited by Captn C; 02-01-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Silver Member

Just my .02 cents, but I don't think a partitioned Ballistic Tip would work very well. The reason for the BT is to be forced through the core of the bullet and promote expansion of the bullet. If you were to put a partition in the bullet, you would drastically decrease the length in which you can shove the BT back to mushroom the bullet. This would lead to a smaller frontal area after expansion. If you like the Nosler BT, but don't like how they come apart, just switch over to the Nosler Accubond. Same basic bullet, but it has the core and jacket bonded together which greatly helps in weight retention.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

According to Nosler, that is how they designed the Accubond to perform. They do it by bonding and a hevier base. capt david