Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New build options

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

New build options

Finally getting everything for my new build. Most of the parts will be at my house by the end of the week. Still got a few months until my stock is ready. Now I got to figure out details. This is my first build and I need some options with chambering. The rifle will be chambered for a 300 win mag, but don't know whats best as far as tight, Standard etc.. If you were going to build a 300 win mag to long range hunt how would you set it up? Here's the components that will be on this rifle.

1. Brux Rem Varmint barrel 1-11 twist
2. Jewell trigger
3. Remington factory action
4. TPS 20 moa base and Seekins 30mm rings
5. Mcmillian Remington Hunter stock
6. 185 grain berger hunting bullets

The more ideas you give me the better. I am open to all suggestions

Thanks,
Tony Keith
Old 08-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New build options

Since your intent is to hunt with the rifle, you do not want a 'tight' chamber. This can cause problems in the field if a small piece of debris gets in there.

Are you totally committed to 300winmag? Why not go all out with 300RUM?

Rest of your build sounds great!
Old 08-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with you as far as the 300 WM for a hunting rifle. Set it up with a standard chamber. You can shoot it well with no brake and can tap an elk 800-1000 yards with the right load.

Your list looks good. Get a good scope on that baby and your ready to go. I just did a rifle similar with a Brux #5 and a McMillan Adj HTG. Finished at 10.75 lbs out the door.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Here in South Ms the deer are smaller in size. 300 win mag should be more then enough. 95% of the shots I get will be 400 yards or closer.

When shooting the VLD bullets. Is there anything different that I need to consider when chambering?
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I'm with you as far as the 300 WM for a hunting rifle. Set it up with a standard chamber. You can shoot it well with no brake and can tap an elk 800-1000 yards with the right load.

Your list looks good. Get a good scope on that baby and your ready to go. I just did a rifle similar with a Brux #5 and a McMillan Adj HTG. Finished at 10.75 lbs out the door.
Optics selection has just about drove me crazy. There so many scopes out today I don't know which way to go. Muzzlebrakes and fluting is another thing I have considered but my thinking is the less I do to the barrel the better it will shoot. I could be wrong though.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE39465 View Post
Here in South Ms the deer are smaller in size. 300 win mag should be more then enough. 95% of the shots I get will be 400 yards or closer.

When shooting the VLD bullets. Is there anything different that I need to consider when chambering?
A gunsmith can chamber your barrel and throat it for the VLD. This allows you to seat the bullet farther out so that you can take advantage of almost all the case capacity. This is only a problem if the bullets are seated out far enough, the loaded cartridges might not fit into your magazine. This issue can be resolved with the installation of a Wyatt's extended magazine.

In terms of reloading the VLDs be sure to read this:

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle
Old 08-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOOSE39465 View Post
Optics selection has just about drove me crazy. There so many scopes out today I don't know which way to go. Muzzlebrakes and fluting is another thing I have considered but my thinking is the less I do to the barrel the better it will shoot. I could be wrong though.
Optics: Conventional wisdom points to Nightforce, Leupold etc. But don't forget the Sightron SIII's. Several of my friends use them and they are awesome.

Muzzle Brake: easy, the Muscle Brake by Center Shot rifles is awesome. Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales

Flutes: they take some weight off but mainly they're just cool.