Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New build: 280 or 280 AI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New build: 280 or 280 AI

Even though the .280 AI is near 7RM ballistics, it has its advantages over the belted magnum case.

I am a huge 7mm fan. I have lots of them. Including several 7mm Rem Mags. But I am in the process of getting parts for my .280 AI build.

For starters, you can get 150 fos slower than a 7RM with about 20gr less powder, so it s more efficient. Also, it uses non-belted cases so the brass lasts 2-3x as long. Better barrel life than the 7RM. Less recoil.

There's just alot of pro's, and very few cons. The only cons I see is that only a select few ammo mfgs make ammo for it (if you don't handload), and if you do handload, brass is moderately expensive compared to a regular common calibers. But in the end, I feel the caliber is worth every penny.

The pros far outweigh the cons.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseyfied View Post
280AI baby!!! I love mine.. and 280 brass is easy to find and form.. shoots the 168 lr accubonds and 168 bergers into same hole at 200.. u will love it

What is your load for the 168 ABLR and what distance to the lands have you found to work the best for the ABLR?

Thanks in advance, this would be a huge help.

MM
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for replies. I keep seeing all the pros as far as 280Ai also. Mudrunner and others, do you have a set of dies that perform vs another brand. Everything seems to be on back order, so I'm planning waaaay ahead before build arrives.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have one yet, but have been studying into the caliber for a number of years. Once I get the money for my barrel blank, I will be taking it to the smith for him to do all the work. Then I will be buying dies & brass. I use RCBS equipment, but Redding also makes good stuff from what I hear. I'm fixing to be buying some Redding dies from another member (on Friday) for my .25-06 AI build (which will be the same rifle as the .280 AI, it will be a switch-barrel setup. So, I think with either brand you can't go wrong.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.