Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Bartlein Barrel - Model 70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Bronze Member

New Bartlein Barrel - Model 70

After 8 weeks, the gunsmith finally called and said my rifle ready to go. It started as a Model 70 Featherweight BOSS in 280 Rem, but after a new Boyds Prairie Hunter Stock and a Bartlein #3 Contour, this is the final product.

Before:

After:

I had the gunsmith re-contour the blank to lighten it up a tad and contemplated having the barrel and action duracoated black, but decided to leave it for now. I've never been a big fan of a stainless barrel, but I kind of like the blued-on-stainless look.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

Re: New Bartlein Barrel - Model 70

Looks great. I'm a big Model 70 fan. My only recommendation would be to use something besides Duracoat. I've applied it quite a bit over the last eight years and it just doesn't wear well.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .30US View Post
Looks great. I'm a big Model 70 fan. My only recommendation would be to use something besides Duracoat. I've applied it quite a bit over the last eight years and it just doesn't wear well.
Thanks...I'm fan too.

That's good to know about the duracoat. I think I'm gonna leave it as is for awhile. It's growing on me.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

Gus,

It looks great! How does it shoot?

My Model 70 in 270WSM is at Bartlein now having a new barrel installed. I hope it shoots great.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortmagman View Post
Gus,

It looks great! How does it shoot?

My Model 70 in 270WSM is at Bartlein now having a new barrel installed. I hope it shoots great.
I haven't had the chance to get it to the range...I'm hoping I can get out there Sunday morning.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Gold Member

That's a beautiful rifle. Is it still chambered for .280? The new stock really turned out nice. I am a sucker for the lines of the original Featherweight stock, though. I think they are pretty, too. Is that an SWFA SS scope?

I agree with what was said about Duracoat. I have used it and it is OK. I like Brownells Gunkote better. I am currently having three rifles finished in Cerakote. I suspect I will like that even more than I like Gunkote. Of course, that's all academic for as long as you are happy with the stainless look!

I hope you will share your results when you start putting rounds downrange. I have a Bartlein barrel on order for my .300 WM. It will be my first Bartlein barrel and I am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I am a fan of the Model 70 and similar actions. Thanks for posting pics!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
That's a beautiful rifle. Is it still chambered for .280? The new stock really turned out nice. I am a sucker for the lines of the original Featherweight stock, though. I think they are pretty, too. Is that an SWFA SS scope?

I agree with what was said about Duracoat. I have used it and it is OK. I like Brownells Gunkote better. I am currently having three rifles finished in Cerakote. I suspect I will like that even more than I like Gunkote. Of course, that's all academic for as long as you are happy with the stainless look!

I hope you will share your results when you start putting rounds downrange. I have a Bartlein barrel on order for my .300 WM. It will be my first Bartlein barrel and I am looking forward to putting it through its paces.

I am a fan of the Model 70 and similar actions. Thanks for posting pics!
It's still a 280 Rem. I seriously thought about going the AI route, but I decided to keep it simple and stay with the 280 Rem. Some time down the road, I may get it rechambered...we'll see.

I really liked the Featherweight stock, but it didn't accept my bi-pod very well which I use a lot, so I had to pick functionality over looks.

Yep...it's a SWFA SS 3-15x42. It's a great scope. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Thanks for the complements fellas. I'm excited to get it the range...hopefully this weekend. I'll make sure to report back.