Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New barrel break-in help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Gold Member

New barrel break-in help

I want to get my nephew started off right in his shooting practices and habits (he's 16).

What would be a recommended break-in procedure for a factory barrel?

Mossberg ATR 100, carbon steel, .270 Win caliber. I told him before he sends any rounds down range we have to clean the barrel.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: New barrel break-in help

It can't hurt. What you are basically doing is polishing the barrel using bullets. Clean, shoot, clean, shoot.....

Every little burr on a bore will catch copper from the bullet. If you get rid of the copper between shots than you will be more likely to polish the little burrs off.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

I was thinking of clean/shoot each shot for the first 5, then clean after the next 3 round group, repeat for a total of 20 rounds.

Then shoot, but don't shoot enough to get the barrel hotter than your hand can stand, clean after each shooting session, or if the groups start to open.

Thumbs up or thumbs down??
Old 12-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Silver Member

I didnt even do that with my Mossberg. I just shot it to get it sighted in and then shot a bunch, cleaned after every time to the range, which was about 50 or so rounds. But now I havent cleaned it in probley, oh say almost 100 rounds or more, and it doesnt seem to be falling off or anything. My Remington, I havent cleaned it in probley 200 rounds or more and its still shooting lights out. I'm not going to clean it till accuracy goes to poop. I say just start shooting it and clean it after your done at the range for the day. Thats my 2 cents. -Jake-

A 20 inch barrel on a 338 lapua is more of a flame thrower. -Longshot38
Old 12-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I break in my rifles with about 15 singles and about 5 sets of two or three. I guess you are supposed to do it until the cleaning gets considerably easier to do, but My savage is a copper collector and it will probably always be. My Tikka on the other hand is pretty easy to clean.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

I have found that on custom barrels shoot and clean for about 10 to 12 rounds and
the barrel will let you know that it's about ready for 3 shots and clean .

Shoot 3 shot and clean two or three times and it should clean up easy.

Chrome moly barrels take longer 30 + shots.

Some barrels will never stop copper fouling unless they are hand lapped.

With custom barrels I recommend using the barrel makers breakin procedure.

With factory rifles the shoot and clean method works best.

NOTE: A copper fouled barrel will not breakin properly because the copper shields the bore
from the bullet and also pressure is higher and velocity is lower than in a clean barrel.

J E CUSTOM