Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new barrel break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new barrel break in

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkguy View Post
Could anybody please explain the Weatherby Vanguard MOA guns to me then? I don't think that they shoot 20 shots through these before they sell them. Are their methods that imprecise that barrels will vary that much?
Not really sure what your question is... For factory rifles, most Vanguards shoot quite well. As far as quality and condition of the barrels... custom barrel makers have higher standards than factory in selecting steel and making their barrels. As mentioned, one of the big differences is that custom barrels are lapped. That is like a break-in process in of it self.

Comparing factory barrels to custom barrels is like comparing framing carpentry to cabinet making.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-09-2013, 06:14 PM

Sorry, new to all this, long shooting for me has always been 100 yards in a swamp. It seems that everybody advises at least 20 shots to break in a barrel, more if it's a custom rig. If it's better steel why more shots? How can Weatherby come up with sub-moa factory barrels, and if there isn't anything special done to them, why don't they all shoot sub-moa?
Old 01-09-2013, 06:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkguy View Post
Sorry, new to all this, long shooting for me has always been 100 yards in a swamp. It seems that everybody advises at least 20 shots to break in a barrel, more if it's a custom rig. If it's better steel why more shots? How can Weatherby come up with sub-moa factory barrels, and if there isn't anything special done to them, why don't they all shoot sub-moa?
What you've read here is break-in from different perspectives with different definitions, i.e., my definition of break-in is conditioning the barrel for easier and less frequent maintenance which is accomplished after shooting and cleaning each shot with little to no evidence of copper fouling which might happen in a few or less shots to 20 or 30 or more depending on the barrel. If I read Jim correctly, his definition goes beyond that to burnishing and seasoning the bore with up to 100 rounds for precision competition shooting. Long Range and Benchrest have a lot in common, but also are different in many ways. BR shooters have defined courses of fire at prescribed distances at paper targets. They strive for .001 improvements in accuracy. Long Range shooters strive for precision and accuracy in a different way. LR shooters shoot at rocks and steel and kill zones at very long distances in field conditions.

Sub MOA @ 100 yds isn't all that special. LR shooters strive for .5 - 1 MOA accuracy out to 1K and beyond. There is a huge difference. A lot of Vanguard rifles are probably good (1MOA) to 500 or 600 yds out of the box with good ammo. You would be very lucky to find one to shoot 1 MOA to 1K, especially with the plastic stocks they currently come with.

Custom barrels will break-in easier and are all around much better than factory barrels. No one will argue that.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Thank you sir, I see I was comparing apples to oranges, again.