Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new barrel break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: new barrel break in

(C&P extract from Gun Barrel Break-In (Seasoning) Procedure)

WWIW ...

Brand new gun barrels will have microscopic burrs on the surface of the bore... they're left over from the machining processes used to make the barrel and are completely normal. These burrs wear themselves smoother and smoother each time you fire your gun... Its a process that old timers sometimes call "seasoning", and when a barrel is fully seasoned, it will be shooting with its best accuracy and velocity.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Brand new gun barrels will have microscopic burrs on the surface of the bore... they're left over from the machining processes used to make the barrel and are completely normal]
Those burrs are not lapped out when the barrel maker makes their bore uniform in diameter to the one ten-thousandth of an inch?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Those burrs are not lapped out when the barrel maker makes their bore uniform in diameter to the one ten-thousandth of an inch?
It's a C&P from link provided above, since you know something they don't and have problem with the inaccuracy of the statement, address it to them directly.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
Jim See, I did read both pages in your article. You're making assumptions I didn't read it.

How does a barrel physically change enough in the first 100 rounds to; increase velocity, thus changing the "tune" of that load?

If that's too complex for you to answer or understand, so be it.
Well Bart thats great you read 2 pages of a 3 page article. Now read it and the 6 pages of discussion after the article and it will answer all you questions you seem to think I don't understand.

Custom Barrel Care At 17X

Custom Barrel Care at 17X By Jim See

But I also understand from this thread alone your reading comprehension skills really suck so you might want to read it twice think about it for at least a day and then read it again before you continue to ask questions you think you know the answers too.

And don't get me wrong MY job isn't to come here and argue with someone who either thinks they know it all, or is to hard headed to see I am trying to inform the general guy reading this thread. If you don't understand what I've explained or never seen a barrel speed up during "brake-in" then you obviously have so little experience in the realm of shooting that it is laughable you pass yourself off as being so knowledgeable about the subject.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Jim,

Be careful, it's not worth it ... I don't think you're alone in your assessment of the matter.

Cheers!

Ed

Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But let’s say you load 75 cartridges exactly the same and fire them through a new bore. At the same time you did a few shoot and clean, and the barrel is cleaning up easily. You will notice that the velocity readings of these 75 bullets may be a little erratic, and will most likely increase through this period of use. After the 60th or so bullet the velocity readings should equalize and may be up to 50 fps faster than the first 20-40 bullets. This was not my finding, but pointed out to me by a friend who has broken in many more barrels than I have. Since that time I have seen it enough to believe it.
I've done that enough to not see it so therefore I don't believe it. Some folks realize that two people conducting the same test with different stuff will get different results. There's a difference, but the stubborn one won't admit it. I do.

Jim See, ain't it nice to have someone around whom you think you're better/smarter than? And you're not even thanking me for being around so you can feel that way.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member