Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new barrel break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 AM

Re: new barrel break in

Well I want to thank all you guy's for the input on the barrel break in , I've read all the pros and cons and goggled it to death and in my mind I think it would be beneficial to do a break in on my new gun . I may take some life off the barrel with the break in but I like to shoot any way and I didn't buy it to just look pretty in the gun cabinet so I going to invest in some of those good cleaning products ya'll recomended ,I'm going to shoot and clean till I see what what I think is an improved barrel ! Thanks again for all the help an input all you guy's are great !
Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

After I mention that the way one tests a given barrel for accuracy will have quite a spread of results across a few dozen people, FEENIX says the same is true with machines, thus tolerances are set.

So, FEENIX, do you mean that tolerances are set for people for a given rifle-ammo machine?

If so, how much tolerance of people's shooting ability should we allow for judging a given rifle-ammo machine's accuracy claims?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

complete barrel break in procedure is found on rifleman'sblog. and below.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

I'd suggest to go to David Tubbs website. The man's probably shot as many rounds down range than any human on earth has. He's won many competitions, broken in barrels, had guns made, makes them himself, designs guns, experiments with different aspects, re -loads to perfection, etc. No, I don't know David or his organization, but maybe check his site out and watch some of his video's and go from there. It's hard to find just one opinion on cleaning and barrel break-in, but he's likely to enlighten us about the subject of barrel break-in and much else.

I don't market for him, know him, but all of my successes in my life have come from experience and I always look to the people before me to shorten my learning curve. I like firearms, hunting, target shooting and such, he's a great resource for all of us. It's kind of nice that he has a website and short video's and such to learn from. I'd say it's kind of a give back to us to have someone talk about important and valuable areas that will save us time and money so we can get the most out of our sport/hobby. Life's short, I want to max it out.

I hope no one takes offense to this post, as there are many here who are truly knowledgeable in a way that David is too. ;)

Happy New Year.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart B View Post
After I mention that the way one tests a given barrel for accuracy will have quite a spread of results across a few dozen people, FEENIX says the same is true with machines, thus tolerances are set.

So, FEENIX, do you mean that tolerances are set for people for a given rifle-ammo machine?

If so, how much tolerance of people's shooting ability should we allow for judging a given rifle-ammo machine's accuracy claims?
First, if I offend you with my statement, it was not my intention other than establishing the fact that machines are not perfect and it has tolerances.

Are you saying there are no set/acceptable tolerances in machining? I have limited machine shop experience and quality control assurance/inspection but I remember varying tolerances criteria such as; XXX +/- .001 ; XXXX +/- .0005, etc...

It is not my business to judge people's shooting ability. I respect everyone's shooting ability. Shooting ability, esp. in LR, does not happen overnight - practice, practice, practice, ... all of which are end users responsibility ... not mine or anybody's business IMHHO.

As long as human factors are involved it will always complicate things. End users has the ultimate responsibility of their action and its consequences. If a rifle was built with a guarantee of 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for a certain ammo when tested, yes it is a big plus to start with an accurate set up but it does not make the end user automatically a 1/2 MOA shooter, what end user has to do to achieve that is entirely up to them.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

To me, FEENIX asks:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Are you saying there are no set/acceptable tolerances in machining?
No, but every hand-held shoulder-fired arm gets its own shot dispersion added to by the dispersions of human physical behavior. To date, there's no tolerances set in the shooting sports as to what's the worst human dispersion that's allowed to test an arm for accuracy.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chootem View Post
Well I want to thank all you guy's for the input on the barrel break in , I've read all the pros and cons and goggled it to death and in my mind I think it would be beneficial to do a break in on my new gun . I may take some life off the barrel with the break in but I like to shoot any way and I didn't buy it to just look pretty in the gun cabinet so I going to invest in some of those good cleaning products ya'll recomended ,I'm going to shoot and clean till I see what what I think is an improved barrel ! Thanks again for all the help an input all you guy's are great !
If i ever break in another factory barrel, I will probably use Montana X-treme Copper Cream with Bore Tech. Copper Cream has a mild abrasive in it. I would probably run 2 or 3 patches fo Cooper cream after each shot and stroke each patch about 5 times. Then I would finish up with Bore Tech, then fire again and repeat. I would probably only use the Copper cream for the first 3 or 4 shots. You don't want to over do it with that product.

Would be very interested in hearing results.

Good Shooting,

Mark