Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

new barrel break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM

new barrel break in

Hey guy's I'm new here , and was wondering if any of you know or have a procedure for breaking a new barrel ? I was in a gun shop last year and found a 700 LSS Remington chambered in a .257 Weatherby mag. Since they quit making that gun somewhere around 2008 and it was such a good looking gun I just couldn't pass it up ! This is going to be my low cost long range deer rifle , I got a 5x20x44mm Nikon for Christmas and a DNZ mount so I mounted the scope yesterday but before I go to the range I'd just like to here some input on breaking in a new barrel . Thank's
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: new barrel break in

Quote:
Originally Posted by chootem View Post
Hey guy's I'm new here , and was wondering if any of you know or have a procedure for breaking a new barrel ? I was in a gun shop last year and found a 700 LSS Remington chambered in a .257 Weatherby mag. Since they quit making that gun somewhere around 2008 and it was such a good looking gun I just couldn't pass it up ! This is going to be my low cost long range deer rifle , I got a 5x20x44mm Nikon for Christmas and a DNZ mount so I mounted the scope yesterday but before I go to the range I'd just like to here some input on breaking in a new barrel . Thank's

Welcome!!

Do you handload? If so I recommend David Tubb's Final Finish.

If not then shoot 1 and clean for 20 rounds and then switch to shoot 5 and clean for another 10 to 30 rounds depending on what you are seeing with the cleaning. Once the barrel starts to clean up with minimal patches you should be good to go. The first 20 are the most important to me.

Good shooting!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

The purpose of barrel break-in is to "smooth out" the machining iregularities of the bore. The goal is easier cleaning and longer strings between cleaning.

To do this, my preference is to shoot 1 and clean until I see no significant signs of copper fouling. Then it's done. With a good custom barrel, it might take 1 or 2 shots or it might take 10 or more. With factory barrels, it usually requires more effort and some may not break in at all.

It is important to remove all copper between shots, otherwise follow on shots essentially accomplish nothing. Not all cleaning products will give you an accurate indication of copper. I've used a lot of them and prefer Bore Tech.

Best,

Mark
Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

My rule of thumb is clean between every shot for 5 shots then every three for a couple rounds then every five shots up to around 20-25 shots. This generally works well for me but as the other guys said every barrel is different so don't be afraid to clean a little more or less based on what you are seeing on your patches.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
The purpose of barrel break-in is to "smooth out" the machining iregularities of the bore. The goal is easier cleaning and longer strings between cleaning.

To do this, my preference is to shoot 1 and clean until I see no significant signs of copper fouling. Then it's done. With a good custom barrel, it might take 1 or 2 shots or it might take 10 or more. With factory barrels, it usually requires more effort and some may not break in at all.

It is important to remove all copper between shots, otherwise follow on shots essentially accomplish nothing. Not all cleaning products will give you an accurate indication of copper. I've used a lot of them and prefer Bore Tech.

Best,

Mark

+ 1

If you are not sure about the procedure, Look up the Lilja precision Barrels web site and under FAQ
he has his prefered brake in procedure.

Bore tech and Butches bore shine are my prefered solvents also.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

Best,

Mark
+1.

I have changed my view on barrel break in. If you don't know what you are doing then you are better off not trying to run in a barrel at all.

If you half clean a barrel and leave copper in the barrel this is worse than not cleaning it at all as you end up with layer upon layer of copper that will destroy accuracy.

If you are not getting blue/green colour on your patches then you are not getting the copper out.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topshot View Post
+1.

I have changed my view on barrel break in. If you don't know what you are doing then you are better off not trying to run in a barrel at all.

If you half clean a barrel and leave copper in the barrel this is worse than not cleaning it at all as you end up with layer upon layer of copper that will destroy accuracy.

If you are not getting blue/green colour on your patches then you are not getting the copper out.
Also, some products will not show blue/green even if there is copper remaining in the bore. I have followed other products with Bore Tech and removed more copper after not seeing anymore color from the other product. If I want to be really thorough, I'll swab the Bore with BT and let it sit for about 20 min and repeat until no more color.

When using BT, don't use a brass jag or a rod with a brass tip. The BT will react and show color giving a false indication.