Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Barnes bullet testing.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: New Barnes bullet testing.....

Not to hijack this thread but I thought it important that for the record Gerard and Gina have both been back in contact with me. I will be ordering some of their 225gr HV bullets to try. Hopefully they can supply them in a decent time frame.

Gerard, You stated "If there are any suggestions of information GSC should add to the technical profile of a bullet, we are listening." May I suggest a good BC hunting bullet in a 270-300gr for the mighty .338's that are out now days?
Old 03-04-2013, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

270gr or so is about as good as you're going to get in a high BC monometal.

Bullet length, stabilization and twist rates become problematic for heavy, long high BC bullets.

Last I talked to Anthony a couple of years ago they (GS) were working on such a 338 offering. I would think it would be accomplished by now?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-05-2013, 07:19 PM

I have had excellent performance with the 120TTSX in my STW on everything from coyotes, beavers, whitetail, black bear and mule deer. Accuracy is very good for me at 5/8'' three shot groups at 100 yards. I will admit that I have not killed with this bullet beyond 500 yards though.
In my 300 Rum I shoot 150 TTSX for everything mentioned above and switch to the 168TTSX for Elk and Moose. Again I find these bullets to give excellent accuracy by my standards and again have not taken any game beyond the 500 yard mark with this rifle as well.
I have had good luck with all brands but since 2008 have been shooting the Barnes at game, at our gong and they perform so I will keep using them.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 AM
Silver Member

Ressurecting this thread, I would like to know if the testing ever went further.

I have a .338 win mag on the way, and if this bullet truly does have a higher BC than advertised, it would be the magic bullet for the humble win mag.
I started another thread but it didn't seem to get any response.