Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New Barnes bullet testing.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: New Barnes bullet testing.....

Roy,

I would love nothing more then to see a LR type 375 cal TTSX come from Barnes, deep HP cavity to increase over all bullet length, four relief bands, good long boat tail, Ogive design the same as the 338, not the blunt rounded design. Bullet weight in the 300 to 325 range, BC in the .85 range. Would turn the 375 AM into a MONSTER of a terminal machine.

Think they will do it for us???????

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

I think you need to check you scope adjustments and measure your bore to scope height use a G7 BC and get rid of your chronograph.......j/k

I have not tried that bullet yet, but am glad to hear this info. Barnes has already announced that they want the long range market, why they have not devoloped a bullet that will get the job done is anyone guess......or maybe they have.

As an aside there was a thread over on 24hr campfire where your name came up. I think I may have called you a genius in that thread....don't let it go to your head
Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Nomosendero,

Like I mentioned, I have not done any bullet drop testing to figure an accurate BC from actual drop numbers but sitting these bullets side by side, I see no way how these bullets will have a BC as low as advertised.

Looking at the 200 gr 30 cal, its significantly longer then the 240 gr SMK, its ogive is MUCH more aggressive then the old outdated 240 gr SMK, boattail very similiar but slightly shorter, Meplate much better for the tipped TTSX, I see no way how it can not at least match the .711 BC of the 240 gr SMK......

Same goes comparing the 265 gr to the 300 gr SMK.

I also have some of the new 285 gr tactical TSX bullets in 338. They are roughly the same length as the 265 TTSX but they have a much larger by comparision meplat which can not help BC.

Unless the releif groove on the side of the bullet create some type of drag, I see no way these bullets will have a BC that low. To that point, I do not see how a relief groove on the side of the bullet will effect BC dramatically as the shock wave created by the meplat and ogive should make the ballistic effect of the relief grooves basically irrelevant. Maybe not, we will see.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

partisan1911,

I am not ready to say the TTSX is a better bullet then the Accubond. Ballistically, I think it will top the Accubond pretty handily. That said, I have never had a 338 that would not shoot the Accubond extremely well. Just not enough TTSX bullets in the air and into game YET to fully endorse that bullet as my choice yet.

So far however, I am very impressed. Again, more time and testing to be done and then the all important field testing!!!

I have seen the 225 TTSX. In all honesty, I was hoping they would come out with a 250 gr TTSX but it seems they are not ready to do that yet. Personally, I think the 225 is a bit light for my chamberings and I would prefer to have a bit more bullet length and BC then just shear velocity.

I think the 265 gr TTSX should be usible in anything from the 338 Win Mag on up.

For my wildcats, the 338 AX and 338 AM, I just want a bit more bullet weight which seems to improve consistancy with the larger powder charges of slow burning powder.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2011, 03:14 PM
Silver Member

Any idea why Barnes would grossly underestimate the BC like that? Calculation error?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

M.E.

I am also a bit leary of the expansion claims. Yes the tip will help with expansion but being such a hard bullet design, retained energy also has alot to do with bullet deformation. NO bullet energy does not kill big game, but ENERGY does do the work that kills big game, by that I mean energy is what forces a bullet to deform from resistance, energy is what moves vital tissue from its original location and damages it. I still believe 1800 fps should be considered minimum with even these tipped bullets.

My wish list would include a 160-165 gr LRX in 7mm that would be longer then a 180 gr VLD from Berger. Loaded in my 7mm AM, and a BC in the mid .6 to low .7 range would really get my attention with a 3500 fps muzzle velocity.....

Hopefully they are serious about designing new rounds for the long range big game hunters. We will see.

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Eddybo,

Someone on 24hour called me a genius????

Usually I only get hammered over there for my wildcat designs that do nothing but eat rifle barrels!!!

Obviously whoever said it does not know me very well. Genius is hardly an adjective I would use to discribe myself!!! LOL

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com