Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Ballistics Program From Berger Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
SPONSOR

New Ballistics Program From Berger Bullets

We are proud to announce that an easy to use ballistics program is available on our website. Please click on the link below to use or download this program.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Ballist...ram/index.html

A special thank you to Bryan Litz for his efforts in producing this program. This is one more example of our efforts to enhance the shooting experience. More to come.

Regards,
Eric

Berger Bullets
Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Re: New Ballistics Program

Eric,
Thank you for all the hard work you guys do for the shooting sport. The program looks geat. Keep up the good work.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
SPONSOR

Re: New Ballistics Program

Thanks Eric and Bryan!
Old 01-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: New Ballistics Program From Berger Bullets

Its a good looking program. It is simple to use. It is within 1.5" of my program at 1K.

Thanks!

M
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 01-27-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

I am glad to see that Berger is making a Ballistic Program now. Thank you.
I didn't see any spot to input altitude though? I also didn't see the BC change when I changed caliber and weight?

I've been using Berger Bullets since the early 90's and am very happy with them. However, I've got a few questions about the G7 BC's.

I see that they're lower numbers than the G1.

If we put in the lower number into our other Ballistic Software (the newest Sierra or NF programs as an example) I am assuming that the outcome will be false because the programs were not designed to calculate the G7? Am I correct in that assumption?

Don't the Ballistic Programs have to be "set up" for G7 before it can effectively be used?

Anybody have any additional info or links to more info on this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SBruce; 01-28-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:22 AM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
I am glad to see that Berger is making a Ballistic Program now. Thank you.
I didn't see any spot to input altitude though?
The effects of altitude are captured in the Air Pressure input. If you hold the mouse pointer over the word 'Pressure' on the program, a table will pop-up that tabulates the air pressure at altitude. You can pick the pressure that corresponds with your altitude. This was done intentionally because altitude and pressure effects are commonly misunderstood and miss-applied in ballistics programs. This is the best way I could think of to handle it.

Quote:
I also didn't see the BC change when I changed caliber and weight?
The caliber, weight, and BC are all independent inputs. You have to input all three. The program shows you the form factor of the bullet which results from the above 3 properties. A G7 form factor less than .98 is pretty good (low drag profile), greater than 1.1 is pretty bad.

Quote:
I've been using Berger Bullets since the early 90's and am very happy with them. However, I've got a few questions about the G7 BC's.

I see that they're lower numbers than the G1.

If we put in the lower number into our other Ballistic Software (the newest Sierra or NF programs as an example) I am assuming that the outcome will be false because the programs were not designed to calculate the G7? Am I correct in that assumption?

Don't the Ballistic Programs have to be "set up" for G7 before it can effectively be used?
Your questions about G7 BC are all answered in this article here on LRH:
Berger Bullets' Move To The G7 Standard BC

You are correct in the assumption that the program has to be capable of using the G7 BC. Using a G7 BC in a program that's not set up for it will cause your computer to melt down

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help and info Brian.