Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New ballistics program for Android phones

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: New ballistics program for Android phones

Looks like a great app. If it is accurate it would be very well worth the money. I am looking at getting a Droid, but I now have an iPod touch. What is the best app to download for the iPhone/iPod touch?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:20 PM
Silver Member

Nice app! In some of the screenshots posted by bryan they show colorful green and blue arrows for windage and elevation. I have not seen these colors on the ballistic table either. Handy for quick reference. Am I missing a setting? Older version?
Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

My son has this on his Mortorola Android X phone. We were just in Wy. on an Antelope and Muley hunt. He was letting the GPS input the field conditions (as long as he had service) and the come ups were spot on with my Exbal program. All he had to do was enter the distance. This looks like a great program and will bluetooth up with the proper Kestrel model and automatically enter field conditions where no cell service is available. Or you can choose to enter them manually from your Kestrel. The program seems to be very easy to operate and is 10 ~ 20 times faster than LB3.0 on my PDA. I think I am going to give it a try.... looks good to me and FAST!!. Time for a new phone...

Jeff
Old 10-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

When my phone re ups I'm going to give it a try, I really want to link something to the Bluetooth Kestrel, I see setting the Kestrel out in the wind just ahead of you on one of the wind vanes, you can watch wind direction and do a last minute update when it's go time, at least that is what I have envisioned.
Just so happens my favorite elk hunting spots are so high that the cell service is great, drop 50yrd of the ridge and you have nothing but where I would need it I would have it.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-24-2010, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

I have shooter, and really like how it works. Come ups were the same as Exbal, but like Exbal I had to adjust my velocity, because my gun shoot flatter then both programs say it does. Shooter also has a nice feature that gives you the correct moa for shooting up or down hill.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo View Post
I have shooter, and really like how it works. Come ups were the same as Exbal, but like Exbal I had to adjust my velocity, because my gun shoot flatter then both programs say it does. Shooter also has a nice feature that gives you the correct moa for shooting up or down hill.
So how to you make adjustments for trajectory validation in 'Shooter'?

I just completed the trajectory validation for two of my rifles in exbal. one rifle shoots a bit higher than the 'ideal' and the other shoot a little lower. Exbal trajectory validation is easy.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:51 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
So how to you make adjustments for trajectory validation in 'Shooter'?

I just completed the trajectory validation for two of my rifles in exbal. one rifle shoots a bit higher than the 'ideal' and the other shoot a little lower. Exbal trajectory validation is easy.
Trajectory validation as it's commonly thought of usually involves adjusting MV or BC to get the predicted trajectory to match actual. Sometimes MV and BC might be the correct variables to alter, but in my experience, often times the culprit is scope adjustment.

Example; A program predicts 30 MOA of drop. You dial it, hit high, and go about modifying MV or BC in the program until predicted matches observed. But did you ever check to verify that your scope is moving as you think? Correcting a trajectory based on MV or BC when the real problem is scope adjustment gives you the illusion that you're solving the problem, but what you end up with is a solution that's really only correct for a single range. If you address the real problem, you'll have a solution that's more accurate for all ranges.

Shooter has a variable called correction factor, which is a multiplier you can apply to your sight adjustment so that the program accounts for the error between expected and actual reticule movement.

-Bryan

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting