Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New Allen Magnum and APS rifle design finally ready to test....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: New Allen Magnum and APS rifle design finally ready to test....

Screech,

It simply allow the barrel itself to support its own weight as well as the receiver and scope instead of the receiver supporting all the weight.

Of all the componants, the barrel is the stiffest and most rigid of them all so this is why it is used to support all the weight.

The V-Block also offers alot of support and stability to the barrel producing a rifle system that has the stiffness of a very short, very heavy barreled rifle but in a long barreled rifle with extreme ballistic performance capabilities.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Lerch,

I hear from a pretty good source that the 270 bullets are soon to come up on the Wildcat work schedule. Only thing slower then a Canadian bullet smith is a Montanian gunsmith [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Well that answered a lot of my questions and I guess I am glad the Mesika M came with the recoil lug. I had thought it was a mistake on my part.

In the picture of the stock where it is upside down, there is a third hole at an angle that is a few inches back from the barrel block holes. What is it for?

Very nice project but I still like the 7mm.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Jim
Old 02-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Roy:

Should I.........Shouldn't I.............

Nope.....I just want to get through a whole summer, fall and hunting season without worrying about a new gun and when it's gonna be done. I think the old 7mm AM will do me for now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think I'll let Richard do all of the leg work and testing and then we'll see how bad the "wants" get. Hmmmmm.....maybe in Kirby's new 338 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-01-2006, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Lerch:

Slow is a relative term so don't let him fool ya. Just don't be standing in the way if either of them hears about a big whitetail or a big wolf or you'll likely hear a couple of sonic booms as they go by. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

All kidding aside, if you stop and think about what those two guys provide and the time frame in which they do it, you won't match them anywhere.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Platinum Member

Theres pretty much only 1 word I can use to describe what I'm thinking. WOW!! Freaking awesome. I wish I had the money to dump into any AM. Just when you come out with something so superior, you find yet another way to beat it. Simply amazing. Those numbers are very very very good for .27 cal. Jeez. I would imagine that it would get to 2000 yards, but should easily be a 1500 yard deer wacker in good conditions, seems to me. Do you think it would be just as good as your 7 AM with the 200g for LR elk/bears??

P.S. My dad is wanting a muzzle brake installed on his 300 RUM, and I have recomended you to do it. I was originally thinking vais, but since they have holes all the way around, I'm worried about the dust and little rocks/sand that can kick up. I know you like Hollands, what would you do?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Buffalobob,

I believe what your looking at is the front receiver screw hole for the conventional receiver screw.

This is filled with a dummy screw to give a finished professional look to the finished rifle. The trigger guard is also attached with dummy screws as well. Looks like a conventionally bedded rifle as far as that is concerned except that those action screws are just dummies!!

You will also notice a small hole just to the left of the forward V-Block port. This is for the rear swivel stud which after V-Block is in place and cured, I drilled and tapped into the V-Block itself to increase the strength of this stud which will be the one supporting all the weight from the sling.

I should have taken some pictures of the bottom of the stock when it was finished to show you what the finished bottom looks like.

The V-Block ports are also lined with custom stainless steel bushings which really makes them look sharp instead of just a hole milled into the bottom of the stock.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com