Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: New 6.5 Idea

Thanks, for answers. I've been thinking on a similar project to make a cartridge able to fit in the standard Howa action. I've been thinking of making a forming die with a double radius shoulder, like a Weatherby but softer radius's, to make the flow of brass a little easier. Also thinking of having it nitrided for less friction. It's been an interesting and informative thread.[/QUOTE]

Montana-

I also did a similar thing and would have to agree that I don't think the radius idea would work, JMO. I talked to Mark Spencer at Spencer Tool and Grind, he made me a FL die with seperate bushings that had progressively steeper shoulders. Still had to anneal the shoulders down a little bit, but after that, they worked really well. You can find his web-site on-line pretty easy. I would defenitely recomend him for something like that.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Also, I think I speak for quite a few people here.

"Brave the cold, get your butts out there, and let's see what this thing can do!"
Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Silver Member

Sorry about the wait guys but the customers come first! The weather sucks here as Steve mentioned. Our normal places to shoot are covered with lots of snow and an inversion has us breathing brown air!! Literally!! It's going to start snowing this morning and keep it up through Sunday so I'll do my best to get out and finish the break-in, reprep the brass and see what kind of velocities it's capable of achieving. ---- 7mmRHB
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Sorry about the wait guys but the customers come first! The weather sucks here as Steve mentioned. Our normal places to shoot are covered with lots of snow and an inversion has us breathing brown air!! Literally!! It's going to start snowing this morning and keep it up through Sunday so I'll do my best to get out and finish the break-in, reprep the brass and see what kind of velocities it's capable of achieving. ---- 7mmRHB
Where are you that you have brown air? I was in Salt Lake a while back and it was worse than L.A..........Rich
Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I'm about 65 miles south of Salt Lake City and the inversion has been bad this year, to cold and to much snow and that makes our air thick and it dosen't taste very good.
Got a shippment of barrels from Brux and Benchmark so I have to get a few guns put together or my name will be mud, but we will sneak out and get something going with the 6.5 BPX

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
I'm about 65 miles south of Salt Lake City and the inversion has been bad this year, to cold and to much snow and that makes our air thick and it dosen't taste very good.
Got a shippment of barrels from Brux and Benchmark so I have to get a few guns put together or my name will be mud, but we will sneak out and get something going with the 6.5 BPX
Thanks Steve, it sounded like Salt Lake.......Rich
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Silver Member

Well I went out this morning and made an attempt to finish the break-in on the 6.5 BPX. It improved quite a bit but was still getting a streak of copper on the nine o clock land top. The good news is that it cleaned very quickly ( two wet patches ) after 5 shots.

The weather was rotten the whole time, with a cold wind and snow falling most of the time. I guess you guys shamed me into getting back out to the range to keep this project moving.

If I can find .286 bushing for my die, we'll get on to the performance tests this coming week.

------- 7mmRHB -----