Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New 6.5 Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Well, believe it or not, I finally found enough RL 22 to be worth doing some load development !! 4 pounds. What a joke! Anyway I thought that since I had to meet Good grouper at the range to deliver a rifle,I thought that I just as well load a few rounds of the new lot of powder to see how it compared in velocity to the RL 22 I had shot previously. I loaded all with 50 grs, which had shot at 3061 fps. GG was set up for a lefty so I had him shoot the test, which is always a plus!! As he shot,I was watching the cronograph and was bummed when the velocity was 43 fps slower with this lot. 3018 fps was ave. I had stated earlier in this thread that I felt that the original 22 was a very fast lot and I think that was proven out with this test. I was starting to grumble about about the lower velocity when I noticed GG was still looking through the scope. Just then he turned to me and said come look. I took a look and said, wow that looks like a .200 group, and GG said it's way smaller than that!! It ended up being .156.

I don't think losing 43 fps is much of a problem when the gun shoots like that. I guess it's time to do some real testing and wring this little cartridge out!! We'll let you all know how it goes. -- RHB
Things are lookin really good Roland.......Rich
Old 03-24-2013, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Rich, it's been frustrating trying to find enough powder of a given lot to even start load development!! I've rounded up one more lot of RL 22 ( 5lbs ) that should be here this week. I'll check it out to determine the best lot to use to develop the load. I haven't even tweaked the seating depth yet so that could be interesting as well !!

I hope your own project is coming along well ? ----- RHB
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Thanks Rich, it's been frustrating trying to find enough powder of a given lot to even start load development!! I've rounded up one more lot of RL 22 ( 5lbs ) that should be here this week. I'll check it out to determine the best lot to use to develop the load. I haven't even tweaked the seating depth yet so that could be interesting as well !!

I hope your own project is coming along well ? ----- RHB
Getting ANYTHING related to firearms is getting tough!
I am waiting for dies, reamer, and barrel which are all supposed to be here by mid April. Infact, the reamer should be here in a week or so and Rhian already has a barrel so he may beat me to the first one.....Rich
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

I would sure try Norma MRP. Little hard to find, but well worth it normally over RL22. Definitely more consistent and normally faster.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

I have followed this post along not much of poster but i have had a very similar cartridge for 15 years it is a 6.5x284 case shortend holds about 52grs fits in short action my uncle came up with it i only shot 120 gr bullets both my daughters hunt with it very accurate. Making the brass is a big pain but worth it.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:21 AM
Silver Member

Bounty hunter, I would love to try some MRP but it's tough to find around here.I have been thinking about trying MRP for a few weeks now. I know it's way more consistent than RL 22. I think Norma cherry picks the good batches and the rest becomes RL 22. If I had a just enough to shoot a few rounds to verify that it was a good candidate for the 6.5 BPX, I would try to find ten pounds.

------ RHB
Old 03-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Horsefor4, you are right about it being a pain to make the brass!! Looks like your uncle beat me to the punch!!! I drew this basic design in 2001 but didn't do anything about making it until 2 years ago. Sounds like they are still a bit different in size? ---- RHB