Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: New 6.5 Idea

Sully2

The 260AI or a shortened version of the same will come up a little short in case capacity but would be a fine cartridge. Wildcatting today is a little tougher because there are some many cases and the voids have been filled. Making too little of change and getting just a little improvement questions if it is worth the trouble and expense. The change we looked for was case capacity half way between 6.5x47 and 6.5x284 and Rolland’s thought was maybe with a more efficient case design we could outperform or at least match the performance of the 284 and make it truly a short action round. We looked at 40 degree shoulder and leaving it .100 longer and using Wyatt boxes but instead stayed with 35 degrees and the shorter version, and when we first fire form a case the H20 volume was a little more than I thought it would be. Then Quickload said we could get to 3075 fps and I knew we had something that would attract a little interest and so far so good. I won’t have time to but the other 2 rifles together until this fall the work has piled up and I have to keep busy getting the customers guns out but we are happy with the results and we will see if we can put something together so we can build a few of these rifles for other people.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 03-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Sully2, if you're thinking of shortening a 260 rem case, do yourself a favor and just use the 6.5 Creedmore case and Improve it. Take out some taper and do a sharper shoulder. Lots less work than trying to shorten a case!! ---- RHB
Old 03-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Sully2, if you're thinking of shortening a 260 rem case, do yourself a favor and just use the 6.5 Creedmore case and Improve it. Take out some taper and do a sharper shoulder. Lots less work than trying to shorten a case!! ---- RHB
+1......Rich
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
I agree using a Creedmoor instead of shortening a 260 would be the way to go. And if a Creedmoor isn't short enough, there's the 6.5x47 Lapua. But I don't think it would be a good idea to take any taper out of a Creedmoor. It has less than .008" taper. It also has a 30° shoulder. I doubt much would be gained by changing that either.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Edd, you're right . I measured a new Creedmore case after I wrote that post and was surprised at how little taper there was. The new piece of brass measured only .006 total taper so it's already less taper than is considered minimum. A 40* shoulder would gain a little case volume but not much more than a grain or so. Good catch!! ---- RHB
Old 03-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Well, believe it or not, I finally found enough RL 22 to be worth doing some load development !! 4 pounds. What a joke! Anyway I thought that since I had to meet Good grouper at the range to deliver a rifle,I thought that I just as well load a few rounds of the new lot of powder to see how it compared in velocity to the RL 22 I had shot previously. I loaded all with 50 grs, which had shot at 3061 fps. GG was set up for a lefty so I had him shoot the test, which is always a plus!! As he shot,I was watching the cronograph and was bummed when the velocity was 43 fps slower with this lot. 3018 fps was ave. I had stated earlier in this thread that I felt that the original 22 was a very fast lot and I think that was proven out with this test. I was starting to grumble about about the lower velocity when I noticed GG was still looking through the scope. Just then he turned to me and said come look. I took a look and said, wow that looks like a .200 group, and GG said it's way smaller than that!! It ended up being .156.

I don't think losing 43 fps is much of a problem when the gun shoots like that. I guess it's time to do some real testing and wring this little cartridge out!! We'll let you all know how it goes. -- RHB
Old 03-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
Well put RHB, its nice to have some one like Goodgrouper follow up your work, there nothing like the call saying I got your load done it's hard to get it to shoot over 3/8!!, and know thats exactly what that gun is doing. Hope you post some of your accomplishments we can all learn a little on the way.
I couldn't agree more on everyone's comments about GG. I'm just glad he's posting again. I've always enjoyed his adventures.

GG, we all look forward to what you have to share. Cheers!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.