Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Location: I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6 deer a year.
Re: New 6.5 Idea

I was looking at your case and the velocities you are getting with the powder you are using. I have to say your case would seem to be very similar to a 6.5x55 improved just a little shorter and your results are also very similar to the performance of the 6.5x 55 improved. So can ask , did you look at the 6.5x 55 case before you started with the 6.5 BPX. I know the bolt face is a little different and that could hold back its acceptance but the 6.5x55 has shown itself to be a very accurate case.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Roland and Steve.......VERY impressive guys! Congratualations/Rich
Old 03-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks Rich hope your as happy with your project as I am with the way 6.5 BPX is turning out.
I have most of the parts to build 2 more rifles, they will be more or less clones to Roland's and we will see if the accuracy traits of this little fella follow suit.

Thanks for following along I'm sure there will be more information to follow.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by north of 53 View Post
I was looking at your case and the velocities you are getting with the powder you are using. I have to say your case would seem to be very similar to a 6.5x55 improved just a little shorter and your results are also very similar to the performance of the 6.5x 55 improved. So can ask , did you look at the 6.5x 55 case before you started with the 6.5 BPX. I know the bolt face is a little different and that could hold back its acceptance but the 6.5x55 has shown itself to be a very accurate case.
If you read the second sentence of the original post you will know why. This is shaping up to be the ideal short action 6.5 round. Yes , the case preparation is a little elaborate but thats part of the fun to me . I have a short action 700 that is going to need a new barrel soon so.....
Old 03-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

Location: I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6 deer a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinjax View Post
If you read the second sentence of the original post you will know why. This is shaping up to be the ideal short action 6.5 round. Yes , the case preparation is a little elaborate but thats part of the fun to me . I have a short action 700 that is going to need a new barrel soon so.....
Actually my point was if you are going to play with a case and make it shorter so it would fit a 700 short action the 6.5x 55 should be an good candidate. As I said it has a 100 year history of being a very accurate case.
I guess maybe that could a project for someone else to try.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj-pratt View Post
Thanks Rich hope your as happy with your project as I am with the way 6.5 BPX is turning out.
I have most of the parts to build 2 more rifles, they will be more or less clones to Roland's and we will see if the accuracy traits of this little fella follow suit.

Thanks for following along I'm sure there will be more information to follow.
Steve.....You have definitely reached your goal it appears! I already told Roland this, but for your benefit and the benefit of other forum members, It was strictly a coincidence, and not a copy cat idea, that we came up with the 6.5 SS shortly after your BPX round. Actually, we had been talking about it for some time after I developed the original 6.5 Sherman. As it turns out, they each have a little different role anyway other than we both wanted something that would be a TRUE short action round. We were looking for a short action round that would duplicate the 6.5 Sherman velocity, and I think we may have it......Rich
Old 03-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

North of 53, If I used the 6.5x55 to shorten, it would then become similar to a 6.5 Creedmore which has readily available brass. 6.5- 284 brass is a fair amount larger in diameter .500 compared to the 55 which is .480 at the web, and the creedmore at .473. Not enough difference to be worth all the work!! The 6.5 BPX holds 7 or 8 grains more powder than the Creedmore. --- RHB