Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New 6.5 Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Yup, I would try Superperformance and RL33. I have no experience with those yet.
From what I've read, I think 33 would be too slow in that case. Seems it is slower than Retumbo......Rich
Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys, we have been discussing our next test and the powders to try but the real question is whether the little case will hold enough slow powder to get any velocity? I've got a pillar bedding job ready to put in the glue in the morning and then I'm going to sit at the scales and see how many grains of the various slower powders, I can get into the case using a long drop tube with swirl charging. Bulky powders are not going to work in this case. --- RHB
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys, we have been discussing our next test and the powders to try but the real question is whether the little case will hold enough slow powder to get any velocity? I've got a pillar bedding job ready to put in the glue in the morning and then I'm going to sit at the scales and see how many grains of the various slower powders, I can get into the case using a long drop tube with swirl charging. Bulky powders are not going to work in this case. --- RHB
I think I would try some N560 and RL22. Maybe RL25.......Rich
Old 02-17-2013, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marioq View Post
The question is...... Where to find 33???
I was hoping I could get some from you

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
From what I've read, I think 33 would be too slow in that case. Seems it is slower than Retumbo......Rich
After doing a quick search it looks to be between 1000 and Retumbo, close to Retumbo. If the case can hold 50+ gr of powder and it max'd at 46 of RL17, putting it at about 90%, RL33 might be a contender, maybe with a slightly compressed load???

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

After doing a quick search it looks to be between 1000 and Retumbo, close to Retumbo. If the case can hold 50+ gr of powder and it max'd at 46 of RL17, putting it at about 90%, RL33 might be a contender, maybe with a slightly compressed load???
Mark....AZShooter (this forum) loaded up to 102 grains in a 300 ultra with a 230 Hybrid. I don't think you can come close to that with Retumbo......Rich
Old 02-17-2013, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Mark....AZShooter (this forum) loaded up to 102 grains in a 300 ultra with a 230 Hybrid. I don't think you can come close to that with Retumbo......Rich
Well... yeah, that would be quite slow.... going from memory, my 300 RUM is maxing @ 92 gr of Retumbo with a 210 Berger and 98 with a 180 E-Tip. 100 gr is approx 100% case capacity with bullets seat up into the necks.

Can you link a thread?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

IF i had some I would gladly make a trip to you!!!! when I go to Lima for my elk hunt this year!!!! hahahahahah I ordered some for my 338 Lapua but not sure if I actually made an order cuz it may be on back order