Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: New 6.5 Idea

Well put RHB, its nice to have some one like Goodgrouper follow up your work, there nothing like the call saying I got your load done it's hard to get it to shoot over 3/8!!, and know thats exactly what that gun is doing. Hope you post some of your accomplishments we can all learn a little on the way.

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

I would say to try some slower powder. Go to 4831 or some type or even H1000. You may see some gains in velocity.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

I could be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and guess it won't get any more velocity than with RL17. Not in this casing. H1000 might come close, but I'm guessing not. In my experience with the 25-06, I got about 200 fps more velocity (3400) with RL17 with about 90% capacity vs Retumbo (3200) at close to 100%, pushing 115 gr bullets.

In any case, no one can complain about either the velocity or accuracy so far.

Now that I've typed out my prediction for all the world to see, probably a good chance I'll be wrong

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I could be wrong, but I'll go out on a limb and guess it won't get any more velocity than with RL17. Not in this casing. H1000 might come close, but I'm guessing not. In my experience with the 25-06, I got about 200 fps more velocity (3400) with RL17 with about 90% capacity vs Retumbo (3200) at close to 100%, pushing 115 gr bullets.

In any case, no one can complain about either the velocity or accuracy so far.

Now that I've typed out my prediction for all the world to see, probably a good chance I'll be wrong
I'm with Mark on this one. Maybe we'll both be wrong!......rich
Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

I'm not disagreeing with either of you. Just another powder I thought of that might work also. Seems to favor these kind of cartridges. Superformance powder. Just a thought.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
I'm not disagreeing with either of you. Just another powder I thought of that might work also. Seems to favor these kind of cartridges. Superformance powder. Just a thought.
Yup, I would try Superperformance and RL33. I have no experience with those yet.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-17-2013, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

The question is...... Where to find 33???