Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

New 6.5 Idea

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Silver Member

Re: New 6.5 Idea

I forgot to ask as well, have you ran this through Quick Loads or anything like that to see what kind of chamber pressures you are getting?
Old 02-16-2013, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!!! We appreciate all the replies from those interested in our new cartridge. I hope the folks who have just dropped by for a look have found the thread interesting to read as well !!
When you start out on a project like this one you need to have confidence in your idea and the ability to solve the many problems that come along during R+D. Having said that, I will admit to being stressed out yesterday, not knowing if we were about to crash and burn or live up to our claims!! I'm glad it went the way it did so I can relax a little bit going into the rest of the testing!!
I hope we can find the perfect burn rate for the 6.5 BPX but I have no problem with RL 17 as a Default powder choice, as you can probably imagine !! ----- RHB
Old 02-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Redneck, Steve has the quick load program so maybe he'll let us know what the approximate pressures were. ---RHB
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

I ran pressure models on the h2o capacity before the case were fireformed and thats where we came up with H4350 but the increase of volume from taking some of the taper out has changed things a bit. I'll have RHB get me h20 levels on this brass and I will put it back in I'm guessing 65000 or less???

Elk Meadow Performance
www.elkmeadowperformance.com
Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmRHB View Post
Goodgrouper came to help us with his Oehler and to give some moral support.
More importantly, I brought the all-important numismatic size comparison object! Ha, ha! But if I had known how good that boomstick was going to shoot, I'd have brought something smaller!

Good job fellas............I think you're on to something there. You might have well created the ultimate long range sheep rifle. Of course, it wouldn't be too bad for anything else either! 200 yard benchrest in nasty conditions would really be fun........
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrouper View Post
More importantly, I brought the all-important numismatic size comparison object (the 10 cent piece)! Ha, ha! But if I had known how good that boomstick was going to shoot, I'd have brought something smaller!

Good job fellas............I think you're on to something there. You might have well created the ultimate long range sheep rifle. Of course, it wouldn't be too bad for anything else either!
Goodgrouper, i have read most of your threads 2x or more and i must stay i am very thankful for all the knowledge and experience you have brought to this website. I have enjoyed reading about your hunting experiences and some impressive shots you have been a part of. Your threads have helped me move along on my way of LR hunting and shooting more than you could imagine. Anyway, i just wanted to say thanks.

Riley

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-17-2013, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Grouper, we could not have done without you and your $.10 comparator !!! As we have been friends and Partners for many years, working together to make other folks guns accurate, it was great to see you come back to LRH and post again!! Folks have been missing out on your hunts, projects, and expertise for the last three or four years.

If you guys out there don't know Goodgrouper, do a search and you will see why Barnsuser made that statement in his post. Steve and I are lucky to be working with Grouper on a daily basis 'cause nobody can develop a long range load like Goodgrouper !!!! I hope he will continue to post.------ RHB