Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

A new 300 RUM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM

A new 300 RUM

I going to get a 300 RUM, I was thinking about a Rem Sendoro or getting a used Rem 700 for custom build. I'm more leaning to a custom job, 28 inch barrel, Jewel trigger, the works. I would like some opinions on stocks etc. or anyting else.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Re: A new 300 RUM

stocks

laminate? Joel Russo makes a awesome laminate stock. I have an A5 laminate he made which is perfect. He is a member at this site and a great guy to deal with.

Synthetic? Manners makes a nice one I don't have one but I seen a few. Mcmillan makes nice ones I have a A5 which I love they can cost as much as a custom action though. Bell and Carlson makes a nice stock and for the money they're hard to beat I paid around $225 for a tactical medalist stock.

It all depends on what you want your rifle to look like there are some awesome color schemes in both. Look at gunphotos thread to maybe help you get some ideas.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM

You get what you pay for. If you cut corners now you'll pay for it later. Go with a Manners stock or a McMillan stock, or an AICS. Any of those three will serve you well, and there are none that are better (McRee is another). Stick with a standard Remington trigger and have it tuned, Jewell's (HVR, etc) are very tight and can malfunction with dust, dirt, etc in the area. As far as the barrel, 28" might be a little long, try 27" and put a Badger Ord FTE on it, it'll get it to 28" and tame the recoil down. For manufacturer try to stay with Schneider, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, Lilja, Hart, Krieger, Bartlein, Broughton, or Benchmark. There are others yes but the small difference in price isn't worth it to skimp, buy the best and shoot it out. Seekins makes excellent bases and rings, along with Badger Ordnance. Badger Ord also makes the M5 DBM, a good idea if you want to shoot it outside of hunting, but not necessary per se. Optics are a whole 'nother thing.

PM me if you have any questions.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
Gold Member

Another option, buy one built. There are usually several offered on this site that are built by smiths that frequent this site. Also check with what they might have in stock. Will save a lot of time and headaches.
db
Old 10-21-2008, 12:26 AM

GAP makes a hell of a rifle, check out KMW's Sentinel as well.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

For the money time etc. that you would spend building a rifle it might be more worth your while to just bite the bullet and get a rifle from one of the smiths on this site... most will guarantee accuracy when you purchase from them.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

If you are going to buy a Rem 700 just to accurize and build on, you would be much better off just going with a good custom receiver from the start and really not much more in cost once you figure in machining cost on the Rem 700.

In my opinion, for the 300 RUM, there is no receiver better then the Borden Timberline Magnum which can be ordered with a Wyatts 3.820" mag box window ready to go. You would be far ahead of the game going this way in my professional opinion.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com