Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

New 30/375 wildcat

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #64  
Old 11-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,362
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

OK, it's making sense in my little grey cells now. One thing that is abundantly clear to me now is a guy better not tell Kiff to grind till you've figured out how your going to deal with sizing. Thanks for putting the "thinking" part of the process out where people can learn from it!!!!
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!
"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,268
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
OK, it's making sense in my little grey cells now. One thing that is abundantly clear to me now is a guy better not tell Kiff to grind till you've figured out how your going to deal with sizing. Thanks for putting the "thinking" part of the process out where people can learn from it!!!!
You got it! HAPPY grinding has gotten me in trouble in the past. Sounds like Pa is bloodying up the Dillon countryside with that new smokepole......Rich
p.s. I will probably have Dave start grinding tomorrow.....
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 82
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
That should leave around a .346" neck, right?........Rich
No, the neck is somewhere around .320 currently. It's hard to measure exactly. Maybe it was close to .346 before I cut them all to the same length??? By the time you do all the forming the cases vary a lot in length so you have to pick the shortest ones and cut the rest to that length.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,268
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman123 View Post
No, the neck is somewhere around .320 currently. It's hard to measure exactly. Maybe it was close to .346 before I cut them all to the same length??? By the time you do all the forming the cases vary a lot in length so you have to pick the shortest ones and cut the rest to that length.
That is pretty typical of case forming. My Sherman cases often vary quite a bit but I was hoping this one wouldn't be quite as bad as it is a much less radical change. On the other hand, ther is a lot MORE tooling work on this case which probably explains it.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,268
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
That is pretty typical of case forming. My Sherman cases often vary quite a bit but I was hoping this one wouldn't be quite as bad as it is a much less radical change. On the other hand, ther is a lot MORE tooling work on this case which probably explains it.....Rich
Gunman.....just realized that we are not really comparing apples to apples. What I was getting at was your "chamber length" of the neck being approx. .346". What you were saying was the actual trim length of your cases was around .320". i.e. you have approx. .026" of room before you have to trim. Is this consistent to what you believe? Do you know what the overall (reamer) length is to the end of the neck? This would take away all the guesswork.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,268
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

Does anyone out there have an unfired 375 case that they could measure the length of? This would be VERY helpful info.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Alaska
Posts: 3,335
Re: New 30/375 wildcat

I'll be able to provide 375 Ruger case lengths tomorrow. Both of unprimed Hornady casings sold for reloader's use, and of loaded factory cartridges.

Below are two drawings that I generated, following completion of some mathematical calculations. The first drawing shows the parent 375 Ruger cartridge overlain on the proposed 30/375 chamber.

Both drawings were drafted in the effort to predict the case neck length that would result if the shoulder on the 375 Ruger case remained at 2.180 inches from the case head, and if only the case shoulder and the case neck were reformed, preparatory to fire-forming in the chamber of the rifle.







Last edited by phorwath; 11-20-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: New 30/375 wildcat
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
another 6.5 wildcat elkaholic Long Range Hunting & Shooting 15 04-16-2013 04:39 PM
7mm Wildcat RH300UM Reloading Equipment and Components 2 03-25-2011 09:57 PM
25 cal 125 uld wildcat chino034 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 0 04-07-2008 05:58 PM
6.5 Wildcat gbp Reloading 3 05-09-2007 08:03 PM
Wildcat 125 ULD, 25 cal. srhaggerty Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 4 11-08-2005 08:25 AM

Current Poll
Have You Ever Backpack Hunted?
YES - 62.22%
1,036 Vote
NO - 37.78%
629 Votes
Total Votes: 1,665
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC