Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

new .17 wsm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

new .17 wsm

Just stumbled apon this new little rimfire round, and pre ordered a new savage B Mag rifle coming out this spring chambered in it. 20 grain bullets at 3000 fps sounds like fun to me. Specially since here in MI I can only use rim fire at night for yotes. Can wait to see the spin offs I'm betting a 20 wsm and 22 wsm will be in the works.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: new .17 wsm

I bet a .22 WSM would be wicked!

That .17WSM is supposed to be a shooter, can't wait to hear real world ballistics and results.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

midway has ammo on there site, as coming soon, the 20 grain vmax box of 50 $14.99. I will be looking for a upper in this loading as well I think
Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Platinum Member

Is anyone going to produce mags? You'll probably have to have custom mags, or brand-specific mags.

Granted, I give it to you, it will be a badass caliber in an AR-style rifle.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Gold Member

I'm sure someone will, I imagine with the pressure its running at it will prob need a gas system in a AR, I think that why there was never a 22 mag or 17 hmr option, because not enough pressure for gas system, and to much for a strait back system. I know a couple were made but high dollar also. It would have to have a special mag as too long for the .22 LR and too short for the 223 mags.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Silver Member

Yup, sure does look like a peppy little thing!

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-