Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nesika problems, now what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Bronze Member

Nesika problems, now what?

I have been planning on building a 6.5/284 using a Nesika KT action. I have been reading that people are having customer service problems with Nesika recently. With that in mind does anyone have suggestions for an alternative custom action? I want to build a repeater that is not overly heavy (I plan on using a #5 fluted barrel). I would like to use a short action in conjunction with a Seekins detachable magazine system so I can seat 142 grain bullets to the neck/shoulder junction and maintain reliable feeding (approximately 3.050" OAL). I want a stainless action. Any recommendations? BAT? Borden? Other?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:58 PM
Lightvarmint

Re: Nesika problems, now what?

Hello,

B-----A-----T

They are good folks.

I have been talking with them about a new action for the long range hunter that would provide the strength for the larger cases as well as handling more barrel weight.

They are going to do some research on it and check out the feasability. Anyway, they are easy to work with.

James
Old 01-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

my gunsmith uses lawton and pheonix. I have both and they are bothn nice actions. the original founder of nesika started up pheonix actions. Talk to your gunsmith I am sure he/she will have some rec.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Old 01-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

All mentioned are great receivers. Also, do not overlook the Borden receivers. Extremely high quality. If they had a Lapua receiver they are likely the only receivers I would use for conventional chamberings.

Again, all mentioned will serve you very well.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpetritz View Post
I have been planning on building a 6.5/284 using a Nesika KT action. I have been reading that people are having customer service problems with Nesika recently. With that in mind does anyone have suggestions for an alternative custom action? I want to build a repeater that is not overly heavy (I plan on using a #5 fluted barrel). I would like to use a short action in conjunction with a Seekins detachable magazine system so I can seat 142 grain bullets to the neck/shoulder junction and maintain reliable feeding (approximately 3.050" OAL). I want a stainless action. Any recommendations? BAT? Borden? Other?
PM sent.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member

OK, thanks for the replies. It sounds like it is going to be a Borden or BAT. Now the question is what length action to get. I would prefer a short action but I understand there will be a fair amount of machining to set it up for the longer magazine. Have any of you guys built a 6.5/284 repeater? I am curious how you set it up so you could seat the bullets out and maintain repeater functionality---do a bunch of work on a short action or move up to a long action?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member

can i ask how much difference in COL length is there between seating a bullet to be able to feed through a short action and the length it would be seated out for maximum chamber capacity forcing you to use a long action?