Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Nesika Bay actions........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2002, 02:34 AM
Bronze Member

Nesika Bay actions........

What do you think of these actions from a function and finish point of view.

Recently I injured my neck and with that added to years of 375 ponding, the doctor has told me that my days of big bores is finished.

I thinking of perhaps one of the WSMs such as 270 or a 25.

However, being forced into small bores I would like the rifle to be somewhat nicer than average.

I have had in the past plenty of bench style guns on Rem 700s with Jewell triggers and sporting style rifles with Number 5 barrels.

But I would prefer something nicer than the Rem 700. I like the look very much of the Prairie Gun Works but the advantage of the Nesika is that Australia has an agent for Nesika and this agent is also the import agent for Nightforce and HS Precision.

I was thinking along the lines of the Nesika Hunter action as a repeater in 270 WSM and HS Precision stock and a second rifle with a Nesika Round Action single shot and both actions set up so barrels could be swapped between the actions. The second solid bottom action could also pick up the WSSMs when they are released.

So those of you who have seen the Nesika actions, what do think of them for the situation outlined.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

[ 12-04-2002: Message edited by: Mike375 ]
Old 12-04-2002, 03:04 AM

Re: Nesika Bay actions........

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-04-2002, 03:56 AM
Bronze Member

I have seen a friends bare action before he sent it of to the riflesmith and it had a recoil lug, and factory scope mount from Nesika, and it looked and felt very nice. I have a M action in 338 Lapua bolt face on order, and should have it in a month or so. Cant wait to see it. It is a single shot, 1.470 diameter, drop bolt, with recoil lug, and 20 min angle scope mount.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:43 PM
daveosok

I was reading and saw that "Typically you reach a point where the action threads on most of the way but not quite all the way." this occurence can be caused by two things.
First tool/part flex.
Second incorrect thread perpedicularity.
If the tool and or part flexs and we are talking .XXXX decimal places you end up cutting a very slight taper sort of like a pipe thread.
If your threading bit is not exactly perpendicular to the lathe bore center line you will end up cutting to a small degree buttress threads which will require you to keep cutting deeper in order for the threads to engage correctly all the way to a shouler.
I indicate the carbide insert with a tenth indicator in the X axis, its only about .430 thou long so actually a greater resolution dial indicator would be better but then youll start to see manufacturing deviations in quality when cranking the cross slide.
I have ordered a .625X.625 HSS and will wire edm the correct tool cutting angles on it.
This will allow me a greater length to indicate on when setting up to thread.
One other thing when threading make sure to do ample spring passes to get whatever little tool/part flex you may have and this may cure the afformentioned problem.
If you have the equipment thread milling is a much better way second to thread grinding which very few machine shops do.
Old 12-08-2002, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

I think the Coyote tactical looks awesome from PGW, that's the action I would use.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:21 PM

[ 07-12-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]
Old 12-09-2002, 05:27 AM
daveosok

I have never had a problem with factory rifles I only work on remingtons, I use a .010 oversized tap however, and copied that system where they use a pilot in the action bore to keep the tap straight.