Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need some rifle twist experts to help me out...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Need some rifle twist experts to help me out...

Need some rifle twist expertise....

I know that just like with bullet diameter vs case volume, velocity vs twist rate can also reach a point of diminishing returns. This is hypothetical, but I am hoping we can have a good solid debate and I can get some solid answers.

If you were pushing a Berger .224 90gr VLD down a 26" barrel, at between 3,800-4,200 fps, would you need a 1:7 twist, 1:8 twist, 1:9 twist, 1:12 twist, or 1:14 twist?

I am thinking 1:12 twist, simply because barrel length and bullet velocity would be traveling SO incredibly fast that the really slow twist rates (1:7-1:9) would hinder it, or cause the bullets to come apart in mid-flight, or as soon as it exits the muzzle... And that the 12" twist rate would stablize the long skinny bullet just fine because of the incredible velocity it would be traveling down the barrel at...

Any help and input would be great. Thanks!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need some rifle twist experts to help me out...

Ya cant arrive at the right answer without knowing what RPM the bullet was designed for!??? If designed for 90,000 RPM and any of those twists make it twirl at say 120,000.....the bullet will blow apart with any of them
Old 11-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

A 12" twist won't stabilize a 90 gr Berger at any velocity. Velocity does very little to substitute for twist. A 90 gr Berger is less stable with a 7.5" at 4000 fps than it is with a 7" twist at 3000 fps.

If you are going to shoot a 90 gr Berger, you need a 7" twist or faster.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'll shoot Ryan Neal an email and ask him...

Thanks for that info Sully.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd View Post
A 12" twist won't stabilize a 90 gr Berger at any velocity. Velocity does very little to substitute for twist. A 90 gr Berger is less stable with a 7.5" at 4000 fps than it is with a 7" twist at 3000 fps.

If you are going to shoot a 90 gr Berger, you need a 7" twist or faster.
All I can find are 8 twist barrels... I found a Bartlein 7.7 twist availabe, and a Brux 7 twist, but it's out of stock...

So, a 5R rifled 7.7 twist Bartlein 26" Rem Varmint contour is about my only option available right now.

Would that barrel stablize a 90 VLD at 4,000-4,200 fps?

Quote:
Old 11-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

I've got no idea what will work, but I've heard a few disappointing stories from credible people, regarding the difficulty of driving heavy .224 bullets very fast.

I am interested in the subject so I'll tag along.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
So, a 5R rifled 7.7 twist Bartlein 26" Rem Varmint contour is about my only option available right now.

Would that barrel stablize a 90 VLD at 4,000-4,200 fps?
According to Berger, it would be less than ideal but above the minimum requirement.