Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need some help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Need some help

I got a prob well I think, I put my gun in a shooting rest and when I adjust the power on my scope the cross hairs move is that suppose to happen, its moving up and down about 3" thanks guys
Old 11-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need some help

You didn't specify what scope you have. How about a few details? Maker and model. It could be a parallax issue or you could have a broken scope. Tell us more and maybe we can help.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake00 View Post
I got a prob well I think, I put my gun in a shooting rest and when I adjust the power on my scope the cross hairs move is that suppose to happen, its moving up and down about 3" thanks guys
If the mounts are solid and you're not moving the rifle, then it's most likely broken or an inexpensive off-brand.

Did you already adjust the diopter and parallax?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Its a Simmons aetec 3.8-12x44
Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Platinum Member

Just got back from a hunt. Okay now we know what model scope. I looked it up and it has an adjustable front objective.. If the front objective isn't properly adjusted you will cause a parallax issue which will cause the crosshairs to apear to move around with even the slightest head/eye movement. Higher magnification will amplify crosshair movement. If you position your eye in slightly different positions while looking through the scope try adjusting the front objective to see if you can remove the crosshair movements. Don't use the actual yardage listed on the front objective as some scopes are not parallax free if set by the number but it should be close.

Report back on if that solved the issue.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:21 AM

Thank you guys really app all the help
Jake