Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Need some advice

Ian,
My apologies- I am shooting the Sierra 110gr HP and getting those groups. Try them maybe they'll shoot better than the Speer's.
School is going well- I am maintaining a 3.9 to 4.0 GPA. Finished my wife's 243 last week and will finish her Lapua in the morning. Graduate the 20th of Dec.
Will be at George's the 16/17 of Nov. to chamber up my Lapua. The school's lathes wont handle my long barrel.
I met his wife about two months ago and since her name doesn't start with an "A" I finally asked him what GA stands for as I assumed it was their initials. I think he nearly had a coronary laughing. It took him about five minutes to tell me it stood for "Gnat's Ass" Only George would come up with that!!!
Yeh, I caught the article but you left out one thing-ME!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Other than that it was really good and will be good for GA.
I am sure you know Marty (Ba. Ord.) is also a big wig at CZ-USA- well thanks to George and Marty my wife now has an excellent job with CZ.
If I don't see you at GA, I'll see you at the SHOT show if your're going.
Chris
Old 10-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Writers Guild

Ian, I would suggest you go with a much slower vel. load. That load using Green dot may be a good choice.

I have used those electroplated bullets before in handguns. Basically a cast bullet with a few thous of copper. No where near as tough as a jacketed bullet.

At the high vel of the loads you have been trying, the bullet is pulling itself apart. This bullet was designed for the 30 carbine so if you keep vel in that range you should be ok.

Try cast bullet loads using IMR SR 4759 or the AA equivalent. Probably work best with vel. under 2000fps. H4227, Unique, Re7, HP38/Win231, H4198 are all possibilities too.

Been playing with some cowboy cast bullets in my 308 and have been getting some pretty good results at 100yds (2" groups). Fun to plink with these at "long range".

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 10-23-2002, 11:30 PM

Ian,

like Chris M said Try some W748. I use it in lighter bullets for the 308 win works well. faster the better out of my gun. little bullets can be pretty accurate at normal ranges under 300yds.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the direction, I will obviously have to get some Green Dot and/or 748 so that I can use these bullets up. Pretty neat experience shooting at the target at 100 yards with a virtually non-recoiling load and not even hitting the backboard - Varget let me down!