Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need a long range ballistic program.......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 08:44 PM
SPONSOR

Re: Need a long range ballistic program.......

I can't seem to get my version of the reloaders archive to get beyond 2000 yds.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:50 PM
SPONSOR

Kirby,

The version of exbal I have for my pocket pc goes beyond 4000 yds in the drop table mode. Not sure if this is different than yours or not.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Youre right. The 4000 yards in the picture above is work in progress.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

One thing for sure, no matter what program I use in the end, it appears that if we can get the 300 Allen Magnum to hit the projected performance numbers, staying over supersonic velocity over 3200 yards will not be a problem in any way!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 12-17-2006, 11:40 AM
Silver Member

I see too many differences in the downrange values of every program I'm aware of past 2000 yards...

Honestly, I cannot trust those figures, in fact I think they are way off the real world.

I'm a developer too of ballistics programs ( soon to be released ) and no matter how much I'd love to have an accurate predictor for those ranges...there is no model capable of yielding accurate values...

On the other hand, are we shhoting rifles or artillery?

LoadBase© Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com
Old 12-17-2006, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Gustavo,

You are correct in that it is so hard to predict what a bullet will do even when using a calculator. So what good are they? Well thats why a shooter MUST first get real world results at the rages he wants to shoot. Then he makes the calculator match his results. So then why do we need a calculator then?? Because once we have a match to our real world data, the next time we go out it may be hotter or colder, higher or lower and the pressure has likely changed. Now all we have to do is adjust the atmoshperic conditions and we can now accuratly predict where are bullets will hit becuase our drag function and BC input numbers stay as a constant.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:48 PM
Silver Member

Michael,

I agree 100% with your post.

BTW, you have put together a nice piece of software, my best wishes to its success!

Regarding the original issue, I still think that making a program that lists figures past 2000 yards is just an abuse, not even the military have those models to be accurate enough. Take into account that for that challenge what is customary is to match REAL WORLD FIGURES to a model, tailored specifically for ONE RIFLE AND ONE AMMO.

My 2 cents! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

LoadBase© Desktop & Mobile editions - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com