Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

"Need" a large caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: "Need" a large caliber

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
Here's rifle that will fill your needs. You could probably find someone here that will reload for you for the cost of components and their time. If you should order this from Len (owner of this sight), he could probably find a load for the rifle he sells you, and give you the information to pass on to someone who can load it for you.

338 Edge

This caliber will work for you all the way out to around 1200 yards. I would specify that you want to use the Berger 300 grain bullet. It will be all the rifle you need for years.

Don't forget!! Brian Litz of Berger fame (& Applied Ballistics) is offering 338 Edge loaded ammo...... food for thought.

Products
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Don't forget!! Brian Litz of Berger fame (& Applied Ballistics) is offering 338 Edge loaded ammo...... food for thought.

Products

WOW! That's not a bad price for that ammo either... well in comparison to normal retail cost for Lapua or Weatherby ammo.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

If you reload or start reloading: the 338 edge in fresh brass is about $2.20 a pop and about $1.20 a pop for each additional shot recycling that same brass. You can not even buy lapua brass for that let alone load ammo. 338 edge has a wealth of info available and is a proven performer on par with the lapua mag in every respect but brass life. And it can run in a standard rem or savage.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish850 View Post
Also, I have really only looked at the Savage and Rem 700 models, and although they seem to be solid I would like to know at least what else is out there before I made a purchase.

-J
I don't know what your price range is but if you want big...338 Xtreme! Xtreme Machining 500 Cooper Avenue - Grassflat, PA 16839 Phone: (814) 345-6290
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM

Awesome, thnaks for the info. I have been looking at all of the suggestions thrown out there...wow deciscions decisions. I have had problems with reading the posts on this site which is why I have not continued the thread, seems to be working fine today?

Anyway, I think I am interested in a lighter version of the 338LM, Edge, or RUM. I welcome any more suggestions on rifles to purchase and what sdpecific parts have worked well for you to get the rifle lighter as well as accurate. In the meantime, I am researching!!

Thanks!!

-J
Old 03-31-2012, 05:00 PM

Gosh, the Savage 110FCP-K/HS in the 338LM sure seems to have some great features at a beginners price range. The weight may be an issue at 10.7 lbs for my use, but it still seems on the lighter side for the caliber?

Two questions:

Stock barrel with brake....do I need a custom barrel? Can I get away with hunting this thing up to 6-800 yards with good ammo? I am going to assum the performance of the stock brake is similar to an aftermarket like the Fat Bastard?

Stocks...does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock on this rifle and if so, what were the model(s) you used?

Thanks again...

J
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish850 View Post
Gosh, the Savage 110FCP-K/HS in the 338LM sure seems to have some great features at a beginners price range. The weight may be an issue at 10.7 lbs for my use, but it still seems on the lighter side for the caliber?

Two questions:

Stock barrel with brake....do I need a custom barrel? Can I get away with hunting this thing up to 6-800 yards with good ammo? I am going to assum the performance of the stock brake is similar to an aftermarket like the Fat Bastard?

Stocks...does anyone have any experience with replacing the stock on this rifle and if so, what were the model(s) you used?

Thanks again...

J
1. You not going to want to get rid of the stock. It is an H-S which is a very good stock.
2. The barrel and performance should be fine. You won't know until you try it.
3. Can't go wrong. You find the right ammo and you be able to go further than 800yds. That is a warm up for that caliber.
4. From what I've heard, the break is more than ample for the .338LM.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!