Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

"Need" a large caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM

"Need" a large caliber

Last edited by fish850; 03-25-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: "Need" a large caliber

K.... I'll play along, 50BMG???
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM

Thanks Liltank, apparently I updated the thread after I made the initial post and I deleted what I had written....and I thought that I had 80 views and not one reply...thought I said something that pissed some folks off or something!!

Anyhow, I'll keep it short as possible as this is a sizeable can of worms and I am just getting started. I have been reading off this website for almost a year now here and there, when considering the purchase of a long range device for target as well as LRH. I was very interested in attending one of the 3 day long range classes after purchasing. However after being hit with some unexpected expenditures the whole LRH dream sort of went bye bye.

However, I recently received a Montana invite this year with some family locals to go for Elk for the first time. So LRH dream is on again because the whole LRH purpose as I see it is to modify your hunting style a bit when hunting open country, mostly to have some incredible options. I black tail/pig, etc. hunt on the West Coast and already own a -06 and 270Win....I am use to 300yd and under shots and I am very, very picky about when and what I shoot. I have wounded an animal before and I had to finish the job mono e mono, did not bother me but I felt bad for the animal.

So here goes....I am not a gun expert. I have shot guns and hunted since I could hold a weapon, and I own a civilized arsenal that I would feel is almost (almost) complete with a large caliber, longe range device. I see folks making all sorts of very interesting and cool sounding modifications to the large calibers to get the awesome results that LRH requires. I do not have this expertise however, maybe someday. For now I am looking for something that will do the job everytime as long as I put the time in to learn. I am looking for something that I can grow into and take as far as I am able.

Last year I shot a 338LM at 500 yards and affter consulting some ballistic charts it seems that the only things I will have to worry about with the 338LM is initial cost, carrying, and of course my LR experience. Seems like the caliber is pretty capable off the shelf.

So, I would love to hear the CONS of this caliber, and feel free to poke holes in my logic or statements. Also, I have really only looked at the Savage and Rem 700 models, and although they seem to be solid I would like to know at least what else is out there before I made a purchase. I also need a scope, however it seems some of the LR turret models I have seen may get bashed in the backcounty....what are some typical LRH scopes? Are their some that can handle a beating, and have turrets, oh yeah and light as possible?

Okay, so I was long winded...I appreciate any and all feedback and thanks again for catching my "ghost" post!

-J

Last edited by fish850; 03-26-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ...
Old 03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Well, the 338 Lapua will do all you need and more. It is a very capable caliber to 1K+ with 300grn bullets and farther. 1500yds would be about max in my opinion for elk. That would be the pros. The cons, they are expensive to feed, and they are generally a heavy rifle. It does have a lot of recoil unless you have a good muzzle break. You can make a lighter version, but you will have to buy some very specific things to do that. The actions for a 338 Lapua are heavier and longer than a normal action.

So with that said, here's a couple of ideas. My cousin currently owns a Lapua. It is build off of the Savage Target action. You will only be able to single feed the rounds. It will eject a fired case, but you will have to pull the bolt to eject a loaded round. IMO, this isn't much of a concern when long range hunting. You would be able to put this on a lighter stock. He currently is using a 32" Douglas heavy barrel, but you could probably go down to around a 26-28" with a varmint contour. I would suggest buying a Muscle Break, APS Painkiller, or a Fat Bastard. These all seem to be really good breaks for heavy calibers. You will need to make sure the stock you get if you should choose the target action has the 3 holes for the action screws. This is if you want to build your own.

So far the feedback on the Savage 111LRH Lapua, and 110FCP-k with the H-S stock are getting some really good reviews. As for other models, if you can come up with the cash you have the Sako TRG42, and Accuracy International AWS. These latter rifles are really pricey, but worth it if you can afford them.

For scopes, you should consider the Vortex Viper PST, Viper HS, Razor HD, SWFA 5-20 HD, Bushnell Elite 4200 Tactical, Leupy MK4, Night Force 5.5-22 or some variant there in, or the Sightron SIII series power of your choice. Heck, I'm going to throw in the Weaver Tactical 5-15, and 4-20. They look to be very solidly built.

Sooooo with all of that said, how about a 338 RUM? It is cheaper to load for, and really won't lose out to the Lapua that much. 300 RUM with a the Berger 210-230, 240SMK will also do it. I hope you are going to be reloading because that is the only way you will be able to get either of these calibers to work reliably for you to 1K. What's your budget? How ofter are you going to use this rifle? Is it a one time deal? Just some things to think about.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Tank hit it pretty well. Is this a one time Elk hunt? or? At what range & what game do you intend to practice & hunt "normally"?

The 338 is a beast, it is very capable of cleanly harvesting animals WAY out there. In honesty, you don't need a 338 mag (any variant) to cleanly harvest an elk at a lot of different ranges, even extended.

The big 338's will offer better BBL life than the big 30's, which is a plus. They offer more knock down power as well (on both ends ).

Budget?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

You have gotten some good feedback, so far.
The rifle you take will depend on if you need to carry it all day long, or if you are going to setup and glass from a vantage point.
If having to carry all day, I would set my rifle weight limit at about 10 1/2#.
If you only need to carry your rifle for a mile or 2, a 13-14# rifle is not a deal breaker.
First decide what type of hunting you will be doing, there narrow down your rifle choices.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

The replies are good. My main hunting bud is a avid recurve and long bow shooter. He has never been into LR, but has taken 30+ elk, few years back, we had 2 bulls in a park at 550 yrds inID. He backed out on shot. Later I explained that that shoot was very do able. This year he shot a nice muley buck at 500+ WITH A 300 wsm. He is getting a Sako Finnlight, 300 win. Which will fit his needs. It is suppose to be accurate and he is looking at 1000 and elk. If rifle doesnt shoot, he is going to build off it,new barrel first. He has been shooting at distance a few years now and has the bug.