Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

need help- off the shelf gun??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 02:44 PM

need help- off the shelf gun??

I am a new-b to the long distance shooting. I am strictly a hunter so an ethical shot is is very important to me. I am wanting an 800 yard gun. I currently have a standard Rem. 700 stainless/syn. in 300RUM. I am loading 180 gr noslers in it and it shoots right at an inch at 100 yards. Triger is at about 3 pounds and I have a Zeiss 4.5x14 with the z-plex out to 800 yards. I just had a muzzle break installed and have not shot it since the break. I have read a lot on this forum, awesome info!! I think my next step is a new stalk. What next?
I am in the process of loading some VLD's in 190gr for the 300RUM. I am working up in 1/2 grain incriments until I find a load for a sub moa group then I will fine tune the load going up or down from what ever load shot the best. I am loading rotumbo (sp) powder as it seems to be the populer choice for the RUM. Any other advise on loads? Is this off the shelf gun capable of shooting sun moa groups and consistant groups out to 800 yds? Even if the gun is capable I will need lots of practice before I feel confident.

I am also considering a 7MM for a long range gun. Again I like the rem. 700 action and weight is a bit of a concern but I sure like how the sendero feels. I have a leupold 6.5x20 to top which ever 7mm I buy. What is everyones opinion on the sendero vs. a standard stainless/syn. 700? The bullestic coeficency seems to be very popular/good with the 7mm's.

Please school me and throw out ideas. It seems the more i read the more confused I get. There is a lot to long distance shooting and I am in need of lots of help and advise. Most importantly will my 300 do it or is the sendero in 7mm a better option? Thanks for such a great site!!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Re: need help- off the shelf gun??

I am a huge fan of the sendero, i promise you i am not in great shape, and i can pack mine all through them mountains and not complain about it too much.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

I am running 200 gr accubonds in my 300 ultra ,it was shooting well under a inch 5 shot groups just a stock rem 700 ss synthetic. I just upgraded the stock and put a zeiss 6.5-20x50 on it.I also adjusted the trigger to 2 lb 4 oz it was at 6 lbs when I shot good groups!I think it may even do better now .I think your rifle is very capable of accuracy way out there if you can find a load you are happy with.The sendero is a great rifle,but there is no guarantee it will shoot better than your current rifle. If you upgrade your stock it may very well help a fair amount. The factory synthetic stocks have quite abit of flex.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Gold Member

A 300 RUM will get the job done, and well I might add. I would look at putting your $$ into your current rig. I have never seen a rifle shoot any worse after a good stock and bed job. A good barrel and trigger can close the gap even more. IMO I would rather have 1 rifle that shoots REALLY well vs. 10 that shoot like s!@t. If you re-barrel your current rig then you can choose what ever cal. floats your boat!

What part off the USA you in?
Old 01-19-2011, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the info.. I live in Merced CA.
I think I will order a new stalk next. Any thoughts on a thumb hole stalk? I was looking at the H-S Precision pro-series 2000. It has a full aluminum bed and I was thinking that with the extra top for the thumb hole it may give it the most stiffness. Thoughts or ideas?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithstation View Post
Thanks for the info.. I live in Merced CA.
I think I will order a new stalk next. Any thoughts on a thumb hole stalk? I was looking at the H-S Precision pro-series 2000. It has a full aluminum bed and I was thinking that with the extra top for the thumb hole it may give it the most stiffness. Thoughts or ideas?
On a carry rig I preferred something more like a Manner MCS-T3 or TA, then a thumbhole. But the reality of it is I donít have to shoot the darn thing! You should be able to find a thumbhole stock on a rifle in some store to get a feel for it. The HS stuff is nice, my varmint rig has one. Manner will build your stock and bed it to for about the same price as a new off the shelf rifle. (not exactly cheap) But confidence in your rifle leads to confidence in your shot.

Manners Composite Stocks
Old 01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

i would get a 7mmrrem sendero and put the 6.5-20 on it and shoot it. why the new stock for the rum? lighter weight or more accurate? now you have a bREAK on the rum i would shoot it before i got a stock changing the stock doesn't do much, if you want more accuracy you have to change the barrel . my stainless fluted senderos are not very heavy. they shoot awesome.