Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need help finding a specialty sling!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2004, 02:09 PM
PUBLISHER

Need help finding a specialty sling!

This year one of my out-of-state hunts will be for mule deer in NE Wyoming when there probably will be snow on the ground. I may not be able to shoot prone so I am brushing up on my sitting-bipod shooting technique for a 700 yard shot at the monster mulie.

A few years ago on the internet I saw a sling made for sitting shots. It does not attach to the rifle. It had 2 loops for attaching around the legs at the knees. The main part of the sling's strapping wrapped around the upper back. The whole system ties the crossed legs and upper torso together for stability.

Anybody know where I can find the web site?

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 07-25-2004, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help finding a specialty sling!

Len

I believe I saw one of those in a shop in San Francisco a bunch of years back (I was lost and trying desperately to get out of town)!!

I did about a dozen searches on the web with all the stuff I could think of and didn't find anything like you describe... I'll search a little more later.
Old 07-25-2004, 03:08 PM

Len-- I would strongly consider Mike Miller's Tactical Intervention Sling if you don't find the one you want. It has a cuff that goes around your arem and uses a Fastex buckle to attach to the sling when you get ready to sit. It is very stable, 1 MOA is possible with the correct technique.
Old 07-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

I would also sugguest the same sling; I have one, and it is very stable for just using a sling.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:24 AM
PUBLISHER

Thanks, guys.

Old 07-26-2004, 04:09 PM
PUBLISHER

Ok, here's my plan. I gave up on finding the special sling but I have a better idea.

Sit down in a crossed leg position. Take a strap or loop of rope and wrap it around your legs just below your knees and up under arms and around your back. (simpler than it sounds)

Take your spotting scope tripod, scope removed, and set the legs low enough so the tripod head reaches just under your right armpit. Place your sand sock on top of the tripod head. Now lean your weight against the tripod head slightly. Using a Harris bipod, place the toe of the stock on the leading edge of the tripod-supported sand sock. Use plenty of back-pressure on the stock.

This was my first group trying the method at 700 yards in a variable wind. I don't try to adjust for the wind after the first shot when evaluating loads or shooting positions...thus the wide horizontal spread. The top shot I called high. The other 9 shots went into 5 inches of vertical. I'll take that kind of sitting position accuracy any day...but I think I can do better with some practise of my new system.

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Old 07-26-2004, 04:32 PM

Awesome shooting Len, please post pics of the mule deer when you get back from hunting.
Wayne