Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need help in finding brass for .221 Fireball

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 AM
Silver Member

Need help in finding brass for .221 Fireball

I want to purchase some new brass for my .20 VarTarg. This brass is necked down from the .221 Fireball case and, so far, may be available only in the Remington brand. I would have opted for the more expensive brass (Norma, Lapua, Nosler), but the .221 Fireball is evidently not offered by these companies, at least not in the Sinclair catalog. Sinclair offers the Fireball from Remington for $45.40/100 cases. Does anyone have suggestions as to another source of brass that is of a better quality than that of the Remington? If not, are there any other companies that offer the Remington brand at a lower price?
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help in finding brass for .221 Fireball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofycat View Post
I want to purchase some new brass for my .20 VarTarg. This brass is necked down from the .221 Fireball case and, so far, may be available only in the Remington brand. I would have opted for the more expensive brass (Norma, Lapua, Nosler), but the .221 Fireball is evidently not offered by these companies, at least not in the Sinclair catalog. Sinclair offers the Fireball from Remington for $45.40/100 cases. Does anyone have suggestions as to another source of brass that is of a better quality than that of the Remington? If not, are there any other companies that offer the Remington brand at a lower price?
actually it's pretty easy to form .221 brass from .223 cases. The necks will come out fat for the 20 caliber round, and will need tobe turned before fire forming. Because your pushing the shoulder back over .300" you may have to do this in two steps, with a major cutting of the neck both times. I've made .222 brass this way, and don't see why you can't simply do the same thing.
gary
Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Gold Member

That price is just about right. No other manufactures make .221FB brass at this time. You can make FB brass from .223, If you have time on your hands.

This is a problem us .20VT owners face, however it's a pretty small problem based on the rave reviews this cartridge get from its owners.

Jon
Old 07-24-2011, 05:47 PM
Platinum Member

if you have a heavy duty press (Rockchucker or a Co-Ax) forming these case is not hard todo. I formed .222 cases out of Lake City pick up brass with very little effort in my Co-Ax. But by going down to 20 caliber the effort will be increased a little bit. If you have a bushing die, I'd go with the biggest 20 caliber bushing or the smallest 22 caliber bushing I could lay my hands on .246 Bushing for starters, and set the shoulder up about .04" long. Then go down to a .240 bushing without the sizing ball installed, and put the shoulder about .005" long. Measure the I.D. of the neck and adjust from there. You'll mess up a few cases getting there (I always do anyway). Once you get close all you need todo is turn the necks and finish up right on size. You'll come out with a better case in the end.
gary
Old 07-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
midway has 221 fireball
Remington Brass 221 Remington Fireball - MidwayUSA
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Thanks, guys. Yes, Midway does offer it, and it happens to be on sale. I think I will just stick to the one-die method of forming the .20VT cases. I don't shoot competition any longer, and use this rifle merely for ground squirrels and coyotes, and the VT is extremely accurate for those purposes. I also use a .222 and .22-250 (both heavy BR rifles, so they are good mostly for static shooting...not walk-around). Fortunately upscale cases are offered by Lapua and Norma for the .222.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks, guys. Yes, Midway does offer it, and it happens to be on sale. I think I will just stick to the one-die method of forming the .20VT cases. I don't shoot competition any longer, and use this rifle merely for ground squirrels and coyotes, and the VT is extremely accurate for those purposes. I also use a .222 and .22-250 (both heavy BR rifles, so they are good mostly for static shooting...not walk-around). Fortunately upscale cases are offered by Lapua and Norma for the .222.
I'll be the first to agree with you that the basic .221 case is the place to start. But never be afraid to attempt to build your own cases in the .223 family. Most cases brands work very well, and for the most part can be had very cheaply
gary