Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

need help on choosing a rifle for my husband

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM

need help on choosing a rifle for my husband

Hello, my name is dalanna. i'm wanting to surprise my husband on a rifle he wants. he is wanting a custom built 7mm dakota or .300wtby. we live in tennessee. i hope i get some replys. i do know he is shooting berger or something like that. i'm wanting to do this for a surprise for him.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: need help on choosing a rifle for my husband

I don't know what time constraints with the birthday, or the budget, but there is a ready to ship 7mm Dakota at the link Long Range Rifles at the top of the page. Custom with some of the better builders can have a significant lead time. Either caliber you listed is workable for most of what a shooter wants to do. Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Both are fairly expensive cartridges to shoot and the 300 WBY would be easier to find ammo for. It would help if he hand loaded his own ammo.

My preference would be the Dakota, but the 300 WBY is a great round.

As mentioned, the owner of this site Len Backus, can provide you with a fine 7 Dakota set up for LR performance.

For the 300 WBY, A Cooper might be something to consider. they have a variety of models depending on the function or finery you are looking for.

The Jackson Hunter model 56 is more for field funtion but like all Cooper Rifles is a fine looking rifle.

Build your Own

The Western Classic model 56 is more of a collectors rifle with classic finery, but still functions quite well and comes with a higher price tag. They also have crafty upgrade options available and are a good investment.

Build your Own

Both Len's and Cooper will perform very well.

Hope that helps

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

Should also mention, to order a Cooper is about 6 months out when I last heard, unless you get one online,

Rifles, Shotguns and Handguns for Sale - Buy Handguns, Rifles, and Shotguns Online at GunBroker.com

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Platinum Member

My wife wanted to do the same thing for me a while back. She saw me swooning over a custom rifle on one of the hunting programs and decided she wanted to get me one for my birthday. On the advise of my buddy, instead of buying a specific rifle, in collusion they made a custom birthday card with a picture of the rifle and included a check for the amount. Looked like a gift certificate. I was totally shocked at such a gift, and glad she took this approach. The sheer nature of a custom rifle is that you can choose all the various aspects that make it your own. I just thought I would mention this as an option. Choosing a custom builder off the advise of the many responses you will get on this site is hard enough. Once you do that, there are other decisions that will have to be made. Scope, stock, barrel, etc,etc. Lots of very personal preference things. The rifle my wife got me is my prized possession that I have taken a bunch of great animals with, and I think of her every time I look at it.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 01-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
My wife wanted to do the same thing for me a while back. She saw me swooning over a custom rifle on one of the hunting programs and decided she wanted to get me one for my birthday. On the advise of my buddy, instead of buying a specific rifle, in collusion they made a custom birthday card with a picture of the rifle and included a check for the amount. Looked like a gift certificate. I was totally shocked at such a gift, and glad she took this approach. The sheer nature of a custom rifle is that you can choose all the various aspects that make it your own. I just thought I would mention this as an option. Choosing a custom builder off the advise of the many responses you will get on this site is hard enough. Once you do that, there are other decisions that will have to be made. Scope, stock, barrel, etc,etc. Lots of very personal preference things. The rifle my wife got me is my prized possession that I have taken a bunch of great animals with, and I think of her every time I look at it.
Very nice! Great idea, opens more options with lead time to birthday handled. Cost effective, and going through the order process together priceless.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
Very smart advice indeed , I am impressed .