Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need help with bullet choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 03:26 AM

Need help with bullet choice

I was wondering if someone could help. I need to know what the highest bc hunting bullets are i can shoot from my .243 howa with 1 in 10 twist. It has a 22 inch barrel. Also my .243 savage lrp with standard barrel. Im from south africa so bullet choices are limited to berger, hornady, nosler sierra and barnes. Thanx in advance for your help.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help with bullet choice

I like Berger VLD's and Nosler AccuBonds. Barnes TSX's have always done good for me for whitetail sized game, too.

As far as caliber and bullet weight, I can't help you there, I've never owned a 243.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member

100grn Sierra SPBT, Hornady 95grn SST, Berger 95grn Classic Hunter VLD, or Nosler 95grn Hunting BT.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 06-13-2013, 04:03 AM

Thanx for the response. You guys dont think the 105gr amax may stabilise in the lrp?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

A-maxes should shoot fine in your rifle.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Silver Member

I have the exact rifle that you have, and I might add that Howa makes one hell of a rilfe. I absolutely love my Howa .243. That being said, I've shot 95 grain bullets with MOA accuracy up to 500 yards. I don't have any experience with anything heavier than that though. On Bergers website they suggest a 1:9.5 twist for their 95er's. They recommend 1:10 twist for the 87's. These suggestions probably only pertain to their bullets however. Other heavier bullets may shoot great out of them with the 1:10 twist. Before I got into reloading I loved to shoot the 95gr Win Supreme Silver Ballistictip ammo. I always had good accuracy, but poor performance on game. Once I started reloading I bought the Berger VLD 95's originally but never actually loaded a round with one. I sold them and got the 87's per Bergers recomendation. I will tell you that I have only taken the rifle out to 500 yards, but those 87's flat out shoot!!!! 1/2 MOA at all ranges out to 500. Plus they are screaming out of the barrel at about 3200 fps. Any ways, good luck with your rifle and finding a good load. One more thing I will suggest is adjusting your trigger if you haven't already. There is a good video on youtube that explains the whole process. It's very easy and will help with your accuracy. Out of all of the factory triggers I have shot Howa wins hands down. I've been messing with an Accutrigger on my Savage, and I have given up with that piece of junk. I'm ordering a new trigger this weekend for it, but that's another story.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 PM

Speer lists a bc of .430 I believe for their 100 btsp, which is the highest in that style that I've seen. Not a truly long-range bullet, but cheap and effective.