Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:53 PM

Re: Need help!!!!

Outlaw: can you explain the whole reticle thing and how it may affect me? I don't know much about that topic
Old 07-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

younghunter, i am a little guy, i am 4'10" 110 lbs and i can comfortably shoot my Dads 14 lbs Savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua.

The only problen i see with the 338 Lapua is since you dont reload there isnt much out there for hunting ammo. Yes, some people hunt with the 300 grain SMK and 300 grain Berger OTM (I know i am going to get chewed out for this) but neither of those bullets were designed for hunting.

I dont mean to affend anyone who uses either of these bullets for hunting i am just stating fact that they werent designed for it.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

With that kind of budget I would build one to exact specs
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 07-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by younghunter View Post
Outlaw: can you explain the whole reticle thing and how it may affect me? I don't know much about that topic
I was making the assumption that the scope you suggested had a Mil based reticle (TMR or Mil-Dot). The M1 dials are MOA. It can be confusing to dial your elevation in MOA & hold your wind in Mils.... Check out the below thread for some more info...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...you-use-85233/

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
younghunter, i am a little guy, i am 4'10" 110 lbs and i can comfortably shoot my Dads 14 lbs Savage 110 fcp hs 338 lapua.

The only problen i see with the 338 Lapua is since you dont reload there isnt much out there for hunting ammo. Yes, some people hunt with the 300 grain SMK and 300 grain Berger OTM (I know i am going to get chewed out for this) but neither of those bullets were designed for hunting.

I dont mean to affend anyone who uses either of these bullets for hunting i am just stating fact that they werent designed for it.
Nope they sure weren't. Then again, the 2013 Shelby GT500 wasn't designed to get over 20mpg either but it does...

Old 07-12-2012, 03:28 PM

What does MIL and MOA stand for exactly?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Nope they sure weren't. Then again, the 2013 Shelby GT500 wasn't designed to get over 20mpg either but it does...
Outlaw6.0 heres my plan, i am going to use the 280 Barnes LRX until it fails me, if it does fail me i will switch to the 300 grain berger.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM

That quote on your profile is from Thomas Paine if I'm not mistaken. I like your taste