Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 01:43 PM

Need help!!!!

Im 14 and an avid hunter. Recently I have been looking to buy a new rifle, although I have found several rifles (including the CZ 550 H.E.T magnum) I think would be a good, durable, and accurate gun I am clearly not an expert. My budget is around 3,000. That is all I have saved so it can not be more. I want a powerful(not the powerful that could break my shoulder) , unique, long range, accurate, tactical, high quality, and accurate. Please list some guns that you guys believe would be a good match for me. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help!!!!

Do you reload or plan to start if you dont already? Factory offerings for a non reloader will have a lot of impact on what most will reccomend. I started out with a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker in 7mm rem. mag. I have killed tons of critters with it including lots of elk. It is hard to go wrong with it.
This in a 300 Win mag pretty much covers all of your bases that you described. Might consider having a brake installed and a really nice scope with high end mounts and you will be set.
Savage Arms

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

Mike, I'm not following you around I promise

OP, could you tell us a little more about what you intend to do with this rifle? We can make recommendations all day long, but without the proper focus, we may not be as helpful as we intend.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Hi, i am 13 and also a avid hunter and reloader and i think a savage 10/110 fcp hs precision in either 308 Winchester or 300 Win Mag would be a great choice. Factory ammo is available everywhere and there are some really good factory loads for each.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-12-2012, 02:15 PM

I own a browning 7mm already great gun but it's not unique. The purpose of this gun is for long distance hunting, big game, and well I want it for the same reason people buy Barretts and that's just to simply own one for the thrill and fun that comes from shooting it.

If that didn't make sense I'll specify a little more. Let me know if there is any other questions you have.
Thanks for such a quick response.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:18 PM

I don't reload nor do I plan on it in the near future. I Have a steady income with nothing to spend it on so money for bullets are not a problem considering I wouldn't shoot it much outside of hunting
Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Man, I sure would have liked to have 3k to drop on a rifle when I was 14!

Some of the grown-ups around here get bent outta shape at a cost like that.

Does this budget include optics? The two guys above me have already recommended Savage. I would particularly recommend the LRH, but barnesuser made a great recommendation as well.

If it's big game including Elk'z i'd have to say 300mag minimum (I know i'll get crucified for saying that) since LongRange was in your description.