Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Silver Member

Need help

Yesterday I was out at our place doing some shooting. 50-55 degrees.
I am shooting a 6.5-284 in a R700 action. On the seventh round that I loaded, my bolt was very, very hard to close. I was able to kind of bang it closed and the round shot fine. Again, I never had any problems lifting the bolt or ejecting the round, only getting bolt all the way closed. It then did it numerous more times throughout the day.
These are loads using virgin Lapua brass, 140 gr VLD's. I have put 150 rounds through this rifle total.
Anyone experienced this?
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need help

I am guessing either your bullet was seated out too far (probably not) or that piece of brass needs trimmed.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

As a general practice, I full-length resize & trim all virgin brass before loading - even Lapua. You might try loading several virgin, unloaded brass in your rifle to see if it might be the length or shoulder causing the tight fit.

You don't mention whether or not you checked your COAL, but that could also be a cause if your camming of the bolt is pushing the bullet into the lands. Check your length using a comparator to make sure each round is consistently the same. Finding the problem is often a proces of elimination.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like shoulders need to be bumped back by about .002. and/or measure trim length of cases.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:10 PM
Gold Member

What is your chamber neck and how thick is the neck brass?

IOW have you outside neck turned for chamber clearance?