Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 11:48 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

A Moose is less tougher than a bull elk, so I wouldn't worry to much about what bullet to use. Just stay with the 150 or 165 and there shouldn't be any problem.

The Fail Safe is more than enough.

---------
Zod

[ 07-08-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]
Old 07-08-2004, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

My reason for the 165 gr over the 180 was to get a bit more penetration on the mosse. But Iím open for suggestions.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 07-08-2004, 08:00 AM
Bronze Member

I use a 9.3x62 on the smaller Swedish moose but the majority of the local team use either 6.5x55 or 308. The 308 with 180gr Norma Oryx factory load is a great moose killer.

I don't know if a 165gr failsafe will cope with the toughest part of the shoulder of the biggest Alaskan bull shot at a quartering towards angle. That is the toughest conventional shot and one that you might want to be capable of taking.

It's all very well saying 'avoid the shoulder' on a local deer hunt but rather more difficult when a trophy 16pointer is viewing you at 50 yards quartering on and showing only his shoulder. In such situations no-one says 'Damn I loaded too heavy a bullet' If they do a 180gr failsafe that will expand at 308 MV I would err on the heavier side and zero a little higher.

A moose is BIG.

[ 07-08-2004: Message edited by: 1894 ]
Old 07-08-2004, 08:07 AM

I would also use at least a 180gr bullet as others have suggested, you will get better penetration from a 180 over a 165. Heavier bullets have a greater sectional density which usually translates into better penetration.
Wayne
Old 07-08-2004, 07:23 PM

Barnes TSX, XLC, or X.

Great thing about one-piece bullets in the brush - a twig won't make them come apart.

I really appreciated this on a hunt a few years ago...my bullet may have hit sideways, but it was in one piece and at 100% firing weight. And no doubt veered less off course than a two-piece bullet, due to holding it's shape.

Use the best bullet for your worst shot...

Tim
Old 07-09-2004, 05:35 AM
Bronze Member

Shot placement -

Ignore the hump it contains nothing vital

The spine does an S curve in the neck and is not a wise shot

The huge width of the chest front on is a tempting target - DON'T be tempted. The width is all shoulder joint and shoulder muscle. The actual chest cavity narrows down to be like the prow of a boat (about 2" across or so)widening as it moves back. The ribs are huge and flat. Unless you hit smack centre the bullet is likely to track along the outside of the ribs, break a shoulder (or not) and exit without a vital hit. You will not recover the moose. Once there is say a quarter angle this problem goes away to be replaced by the need to defeat the shoulder bone (hence my above comments)

Don't let the big size lull you into a false sense of security - absolute precision may not be required but shot placement is.

Got to love Moose hunting!
Old 07-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Hey guys everyone been a great help. I originally thought about going with the Barnes X bullet, but a lot folks on another board shot them down as being very inaccurate. Which of the Barnes bullet should I look at? They have 3 types and I honestly donít know what difference there is between them. Any help on that would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't made up my decision yet and I'm contemplating buying a couple of different brands of bullets and trying them out. The only problem with that is, I'll be testing for accuracy and really won't be able to judge how the performance of the bullet will really be.

Accuracy is a prime driver for me as an overall shooter. Many folks have told me that moose don't put up much of a fight to live once they are hit properly. But my number goal is to put the bullet into the moose where I was aiming.

Again guys thanks for all the help!

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!