Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

Going on my first Alaskan moose hunt this fall and I'm looking for bullet suggestions for my .308 win.

I been think'n bout the winchester 165 gr. fail safe or an accubond bullet.

Any suggestions?

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 07-05-2004, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need bullet suggestions for my 1st Alaskan Moose Hunt

Hi Jeff, long time no hear!

Your 308 shoots better than my son's has, but his prefered the 150 XLC BT over the Failsafe in factory loads. Handloading the XLC near max load works great too, haven't tried to handload the Failsafe though.

Performance wise I don't think you need either though, but I would rather have either of them loaded if I crossed tracks with a Grizz and just had the 308 in hand.

The Accubond/Interbond would be my next choice. I've not heard much about the 180 Accubond and how they tend to shoot, but the 200's do real well.

Where abouts you headed for Moose this fall?
Old 07-05-2004, 12:54 PM

Jeff,

You might want to take a look at these:

http://www.northforkbullets.com/

OR:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/
Old 07-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Brent,

I've been so busy it's not funny, not to mention it's baseball season for the boys and we haven't been home the last 6 weekends. Not to mention we'll be out of town watching them play ball the next 4 weekends. I sure hope they remember all my wife and I did for them growing up when it comes time for them to pick out our nursing home.

I'm hoping to meet up with you while I'm in your great state. I fly into Anchorage the night of 9/14 and I'm not sure what our schedule is as of yet, but I'll keep you posted.

I'm just getting ready to start a load workup on the 165 gr fail safes as soon as I can pick some up. I should have them by this weekend and we'll see how they shoot.

I'll catch up to you, as they time get closer.

Thanks,

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Been about the same way here too, not much time these days.

Keep in touch. Anything I can do, let me know.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Silver Member

Good luck on your hunt though you likely wont need it. Although moose arent the hardest things to tip over as Ive knocked over a few dozen my self. You might want to get yourself a bit more stick than the .308. Your guide will really appreciate it cause it probably will cut the track down a mile or two. I use a 300 win mag with 200gr. spbt's and have yet to see one go more than 20yds or so after hit. You want to be able to punch out both lungs out to 350yds and have some bang to spare. My cousin has done well over the years with a 338 win mag and 250gr. bullets. Give it some thought. Your going on a once in a lifetime adventure, dont go handicapped.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

308 is plenty for moose. Moose do not have the drive to survive like elk and whitetails. Moose like to lay down and die. Even with single lung hits. You can expect the big bulls to walk 20-30 yards wether you hit them with a 338 win mag or a 308 win.

The only thing I suggest is a fair amount of bullet such as a 180 or 200. 165 would work if it was constructed well like the barnes or the partition.

Good luck.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.