Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need a bullet expert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a bullet expert

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north of 53 View Post
Well Outlaw 6.0 I sure am sorry and must apologies I had no idea that the game down south was so much bigger and harder to kill than the little stuff we have up here in Northern Canada. I stand corrected by all means spend your time and money getting it just right and don't wast your time actually shooting.
After all what would we know up here we never get to shoot big game like moose or elk or bears we just like to pet them as they walk around my back yard.

To the OP you do what ever you want but in the end you only have to answer to you so do what feels right to you . Just sift through all the BS and you will figure it out I am sure.

My, my, my.... A little cabin fever setting in? I don't think any offense was intended eh. Just sharing some experience with the rest of us and the OP.

Now, where were we.....

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Platinum Member

The OP is shooting ground hogs, coyotes and deer out to 250 yds and would like minimal meat and fur damage.

What works for a groundhog may not work well for a deer, but works well for a deer will work for a groundhog, so really, we have to pick the bullet for the deer.

Of the bullets mentioned, I think the GS HV 69 is the best but probably the most costly per bullet. My other 2 choices would be the CE 88 HPBT STD or the 90 gr E-Tip.

Based on my limited experience with CE bullets, they are very accurate and easy to load for. Both they and the GS bullets, being bore riders, slide through the tube easier than other conventional bullets and get a little better velocity. E-Tips are tough bullets with good squarish frontal expansion. I've retrieved a couple from the dirt @ 400 and 500 yds.

So take your pick. Most bullets will do the job, but they wont all do it the same. Small caliber cup and core bullets will certainly do more meat and fur damage at high velocities but will cost less per unit.

You may have to pay a little more for your bullets if you want exacting performance.

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/243069HV082.html

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...on&key=MTH_F05

http://www.nosler.com/Bullets/E-Tip-Lead-Free.aspx

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-07-2013, 12:12 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Note that the Miller Stability calculation works ok with lead core bullets. It is not accurate for copper monos or hollow point bullets of any type of manufacture. Combine copper mono, boat tail and hollow point and it is completely off.

A good stability calculator for copper monos is the one done by McCoy and it is available at Border Barrels Barrel Twist form For copper mono hollow point bullets, use a specific gravity of 8.9 where it asks for it.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

problem with that is i dont shoot deer in there shoulders or any other big bone. I shoot deer for meat and dont want to ruin it. By the way it was ttsx bullets i used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I never lost one either I wasn't trying to imply any negatives, only that my particular needs have expanded to the point where the heavy cup & core bullets were marginal for what I needed them to do. Mainly much higher velocity than they were originally intended. I can't speak to your specific issue with the 80 grain Barnes however, most of the failures I read about & see stem from what you are stating. Someone sticks a high velocity light for caliber Barnes in the ribs of an animal. You may have better luck with the TTSX but in my experience, the TSX was not designed to be shot into the ribs. Hit some bone next time, you might be surprise

t
Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 AM
Gold Member

I have and used 100s for that too. Not because they would cause less pelt damage which in fact they will. I never kept pelts. We pretty much shoot them and let them lay. Problem with a match bullet like an amax is it might pensil through one time and cause no pelt damage and the next time it might blow a hole you can put your fist through. If it were solely for coyotes and i wanted minimum damage then i might look at a 100 grain tsx. Id about bet it would whistle through like a fmj bullet on something as light as a coyote. As to varmits, when i use my 6mm for shooting them i like to use the same cup and core 100s as i do hunting. They may not be as explosive or flat shooting as a dedicated varmit bullet in the 243/6mm but they get the job done and the main reason i like to use 100s in that situation is it gets me used to the trajectory of the gun and ammo that im going to be using in deer season. Makes for a bit better practice. Also ive found that out past 300 yards the 100s buck wind much better and once you get your drop down its actually easier to hit with them. By the way montana hunter the original poster said varmits, coyotes and whitetail deer. For a bullet that will efficiently take all three the 100s are the way to go with maybe the addition of the 95 grain bt which would also be a fine bullet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Fireball View Post
Hey OP here...

Here are some thoughts...

I'm enjoying this thread very much hearing everyone's different perspectives (please no arguing, though, don't enjoy that...we are all on the same team).

I do agree that in the end I have to pick the bullet. However, I kinda feel it is responsible to get input from others to hear about their experiences to guide my journey. I just do not shoot enough animals to have the kind of experience I'd like to be able to know how things perform.

I would appreciate guys sharing the actual pelt damage of coyotes with whatever bullet they used. I am getting the feeling nobody has killed a coyote with a .243.

So far I am leaning towards the Hornady 87 bthp but I am starting to get interested in the amax but guess I would need the 1:8 twist for that bullet instead of the 1:9.25 twist.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
Note that the Miller Stability calculation works ok with lead core bullets. It is not accurate for copper monos or hollow point bullets of any type of manufacture. Combine copper mono, boat tail and hollow point and it is completely off.

A good stability calculator for copper monos is the one done by McCoy and it is available at Border Barrels Barrel Twist form For copper mono hollow point bullets, use a specific gravity of 8.9 where it asks for it.

Thank you for sharing, I had not heard of the McCoy calculator. I will play around with that a little bit.

t

Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
problem with that is i dont shoot deer in there shoulders or any other big bone. I shoot deer for meat and dont want to ruin it. By the way it was ttsx bullets i used.

Different strokes & i'm fine with that.

If I recall correctly, I do remember an article about some Barnes having an improper temper or something-or-other on a particular lot of bullets, basically making them harder than they were designed to be & viola! you basically have an FMJ... It sucks to hear that you had poor performance, I've taken & spotted dozens of game taken with Barnes, I have a lot of faith in Mono's.

I feel that we are still in the pursuit for the perfect bullet. Like alll man made things, they will all experience a failure at some point in time.

t