Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need a bullet expert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Need a bullet expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
Have you ever used/compared mono copper bullets (69gr) with flat base 100gr lead cores?

69gr monos will shoot a much flatter trajectory all the way to 500, have about the same wind drift as 100gr lead cores but the time of flight is shorter. So, the combined distance from center is smaller and time of flight is shorter. This means that shot placement is easier and that is job number one.

Sure, they are more expensive but it will save meat and pelt damage and, money wise, you will be ahead.
I have some of the gs custom pills loaded on my 338 win that my brother in law gave me. I use plenty of barnes tsx in my 270 and 375 h@h, but other than that I haven't really bothered. Either standard lead core or bonded lead core is just fine for my purposes and I am relatively cost conscious so I do watch that in what I use.
I didn't catch you were actually referring to the OP, and apologies to all if misconstruing what you said changed the tone of the thread.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

No sweat. I have a thick skin that I put on for forum use.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Bronze Member

Location: I live in Canada on the prairies and shoot 5 or 6 deer a year.

I shoot a 6mm Remington and started using Hornady A-Max 105 grain. I started using them because my wife has had outstanding results using the 80 grain A-max on deer from 22-250 A.I. ( yes its legal here) That A Max bullet performs very well with fast one shot kills when put in the right spot.
Having said that I really can't disagree with the line of just using a good 100 grain bullet on for deer in in a 6mm/243, the truth is that if you put it in the right spot Deer are just not that hard to kill. If you are under 250 yards you would have to do a few other things wrong before a simple Sierra , Hornady , Spear or other bullet would not get the job done.
I have taken to using the A-max mainly because I like to reach out a little some times and then the better bullet can make a difference. I know the A Max is not designed as a hunting bullet but you will find a few people using for hunting with very good results.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Not sure what the highest weight bullet Nosler offers for the .243 caliber, but I shoot the 110gr Accubonds out of my .257 Wby, and it puts whitetails down like nobody's business.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by north of 53 View Post
That A Max bullet performs very well with fast one shot kills when put in the right spot.
Having said that I really can't disagree with the line of just using a good 100 grain bullet on for deer, the truth is that if you put it in the right spot Deer are just not that hard to kill. If you are under 250 yards you would have to do a few other things wrong before a simple Sierra , Hornady , Spear or other bullet would not get the job done.
I have taken to using the A-max mainly because I like to reach out a little some times and then the better bullet can make a difference. I know the A Max is not designed as a hunting bullet but you will find a few people using for hunting with very good results.
Amen to that.

Smaller deer fall to a center fire .22 for your evidence.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
Have you ever used/compared mono copper bullets (69gr) with flat base 100gr lead cores?

69gr monos will shoot a much flatter trajectory all the way to 500, have about the same wind drift as 100gr lead cores but the time of flight is shorter. So, the combined distance from center is smaller and time of flight is shorter. This means that shot placement is easier and that is job number one.

Sure, they are more expensive but it will save meat and pelt damage and, money wise, you will be ahead.
Can you give me an example of one of these bullets. They sound like something worth looking into.

Not sure who thought I was shooting a deer with a .17 caliber bullet. I don't believe in even .223 for deer. I was referring to a .243 in this post for both deer and coyote. When I am deer only hunting I use a 30.06
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

I my be able to help a little bit. I also love the 243 and multi use it. For all the things you set are the same I use mine for. After a long search I ended up with the hornady95 gr. Superformance and the Winchester ct nosler 95 gr bt just edging out the sst. I can get all shots touching at 100 yards with these, and holds nice groups out to the end of my 400 yard range. Also put down hogs and deer fast well doing a nice job on coyote. Hope this helps.