Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Need a bullet expert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need a bullet expert

+1 for the 100 grain. I may create a stir but I don't believe BC will matter much inside 250 yards. I use a 100gr SGK zeroed at 200 out of a 20 in barrel. It runs about 1.5 high at 100. It does a great job on deer and yotes.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

One must not lose from sight the parameters set by 17Fireball:

Quote:
that will kill a deer humanely, not rip a coyote in half, and shoot accurately for groundhogs.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Gold Member

Im with lefty on this. Ive shot a few deer and with the 243 and a pile with the 6mm rem and along the way a few coyotes thrown in and allways used 100 grain cup and core bullets like sierra prohunter, speer hot cores, rem corelocks and horndady interlocks and they just flat get the job done. Unless your praire dog shooting with a dedicated varmit gun i dont see a need for a lighter bullet and unless your shooting something bigger then a whitetail i cant see wasting money on premium bullets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty7mmstw View Post
pitch a 100 grain hornady sp and forget all the bull; I've seen more deer and prarie rats and 'yotes fall to this pill than any other bullet.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Schultz View Post
One must not lose from sight the parameters set by 17Fireball:
Who the heck would use a 17 cal on deer?? In most parts of the U.S. if you shoot a deer with under either a 22 or 24 cal (depending on the state) you will take a fine and possibly loose your hunting rights for a year or more. The sub bores don't work well even with mono bullets either. You actually have to hit them with more weight than a housefly doing 4000 fps for a bullet to kill well. Not enough inertia to break bone or carry deep on a raking shot.

I realize this is probably bait, but I don't care; it's simply bad advice.

Are you still with GS custom bullets??
Old 03-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
By Lefty7mmstw: Who the heck would use a 17 cal on deer?? In most parts of the U.S. if you shoot a deer with under either a 22 or 24 cal (depending on the state) you will take a fine and possibly loose your hunting rights for a year or more. The sub bores don't work well even with mono bullets either. You actually have to hit them with more weight than a housefly doing 4000 fps for a bullet to kill well. Not enough inertia to break bone or carry deep on a raking shot.

I realize this is probably bait, but I don't care; it's simply bad advice.

Are you still with GS custom bullets??
17Fireball is the member who started this thread. I gave no advice that one should hunt deer with a 17 caliber. 17Fireball set some parameters for the bullet that he requires, namely: "that will kill a deer humanely, not rip a coyote in half, and shoot accurately for groundhogs. "

Yes I am still with GS Custom Bullets.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

other then the mistaken 17 comment i think lefty is right on track with this post. At 250 yards bc isnt all that important and you sure dont have to use custom bullets or specialty bullets to do what he wants to do. 100 grain seirras, speers or hornadys would never be a mistake for his intended purposes. Ive shot coyotes and deer at well past those ranges using those bullets and if he wants to stretch out the ranges the heavier bullets out past 300 shoot as flat or as near as flat anyway, hold together better on deer and do less damage to a coyote pelt. If you havent tried it there pretty devestating on prarie dogs too.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Have you ever used/compared mono copper bullets (69gr) with flat base 100gr lead cores?

69gr monos will shoot a much flatter trajectory all the way to 500, have about the same wind drift as 100gr lead cores but the time of flight is shorter. So, the combined distance from center is smaller and time of flight is shorter. This means that shot placement is easier and that is job number one.

Sure, they are more expensive but it will save meat and pelt damage and, money wise, you will be ahead.