Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

need a bit of help with new hunting rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 AM
Bronze Member

need a bit of help with new hunting rifle

I have been toying with the LR precision stuff and tactical stuff and as some of you know they are HEAVY rifles and I have now listed my last tac rifle for sale and plan on replacing it. I have thought about building a custom light hunter but don't really see the point because all my shooting at furry animals is under 300 yards. Kinda defeats the purpose of spending all that cash if it will never shine.

So what would you buy if you were buying a cheaper "under 1,000" hunting stick?

I will be going with a short action for this in preparation to possibly build off the action later.

Thanks

Dan
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: need a bit of help with new hunting rifle

Short actions really limit our LR potential cartridges IMO.

I found with the WSMs, (300 and 7mm) that if we want to use any bullet with decent BC (over .5 G1) that we're either robbing powder capacity or having to shoot single shot.

The 6.5-284 is the same way, it really needs a long action to shine and show its true capabilities.

So, that being said; if you are dead set on a short action, 260, or 7mm-08 IMO.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Short actions really limit our LR potential cartridges IMO.

I found with the WSMs, (300 and 7mm) that if we want to use any bullet with decent BC (over .5 G1) that we're either robbing powder capacity or having to shoot single shot.

The 6.5-284 is the same way, it really needs a long action to shine and show its true capabilities.

So, that being said; if you are dead set on a short action, 260, or 7mm-08 IMO.

I asked about a rifle not caliber. I dont care what caliber I choose as it will get torn down and barreled to a 260 after this season.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayed99 View Post
I asked about a rifle not caliber. I dont care what caliber I choose as it will get torn down and barreled to a 260 after this season.
OH Ok, I got you. Most good smiths will readily rebarrel Remingtons and we can get good aftermarket triggers for them. You can also pick up a Savage pretty cheap and rebarrel it yourself with some minor tools.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Remington M700!
Old 11-08-2012, 08:54 AM
Bronze Member

Well I will throw this out there and say Browning X-bolt. If your going to build the gun, Remington 700.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
OH Ok, I got you. Most good smiths will readily rebarrel Remingtons and we can get good aftermarket triggers for them. You can also pick up a Savage pretty cheap and rebarrel it yourself with some minor tools.
Been down the savage path and not thrilled with them. Built a few remmys and they are nice, but in factory form they aren't very good rifles. What I'm really looking for is something that is accurate out of the box and fairly nice too. I just haven't bought a new factory rifle in so long I'm not sure where to start.

What about Kimber? Winchester? FN? I want to try something a bit different.